Help- what Gage Wire do I need?!!!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Im rewiring my canopy and need to wire
my 175 watt ballast to the bulb socket.
Please, anyone now what gage these 3 wires are (I'm not home to look)?
Thank you

Thanks guys,
Bummer is the box stores only sell itin the big roll. I need about 6' of both not 100. Anyone got a little extra that's going to the expo? I don't HAVE TO have it, it's honestly an aesthetic issue, lol
It's just not worth $60 bucks to have the wire connectors out of site :)

Ok, 175w / 120v = 1.4amps, 14 gauge is good for 15 amps, 16 is good for 10 amps and 18 gauge is good for 5 amps at that voltage.
I like the 18 if it's just to the socket or if it's the power cord to multiple lights, I'd go 16.

Camellia;956293 wrote: Thanks guys,
Bummer is the box stores only sell itin the big roll. I need about 6' of both not 100. Anyone got a little extra that's going to the expo? I don't HAVE TO have it, it's honestly an aesthetic issue, lol

You can get it at lowes / depot, 2 wire or 3 wire by the foot.
6' $5.00

MYREEFCLUB0070;956296 wrote: You can get it at lowes / depot, 2 wire or 3 wire by the foot.
6' $5.00

I was at lows with a sales person when I posted this. They (we) didn't see it by the foot.

Bgcoop8784;956297 wrote: I have a habit of using 12 for everything....mainly because I have spools of 12ga wire. I'm not sure what the starting voltage is of the MH ballast you are using, but might want to check, about the highest you will find is 600v at your box stores, which will more than likely be fine, but I know a lot of MH ignite at a much hire voltage, not the size of the wire as much as the thickness of the insulation. I've never messed with MH much so I'm sure someone with more experience with DIY MH lighting will chime in.

As long as you don't get low voltage wire all the rest are rated for a minimum of 600v insulation.
Can't go wrong with 12 gauge, it a bit over kill, but if you got it....
Mh are a gas lite bulb that runs at a higher output voltage than what goes into the ballast, the voltage doesn't vary, it's a constant high, input on the ballast would be 120v.
Similar fluorescent lights, the tip put out about 777 volt.

MYREEFCLUB0070;956294 wrote: Ok, 175w / 120v = 1.4amps, 14 gauge is good for 15 amps, 16 is good for 10 amps and 18 gauge is good for 5 amps at that voltage.
I like the 18 if it's just to the socket or if it's the power cord to multiple lights, I'd go 16.

It's just to the sockets, it connects with plug to ballast wire. I totally need to study wiring, this is Greek to me!

Camellia;956303 wrote: It's just to the sockets, it connects with plug to ballast wire. I totally need to study wiring, this is Greek to me!

Lol... I've got lots of wire laying around here and do all my DIY projects.
Sorry don't look like I can make the expo, but coop is right, cheaper just to buy a cord and put jack on the end to plug in, unless you just feel like taking a drive.

Go to an auto parts store. That should have small packages of light gauge wire. I would not go less than 14 gauge. If they have it, go with MTW (machine tool wire) type insulation but THHN/THWN or THW or TW insulation will be fine also. Do not use a lamp cord. Some of it is not rated at 600 volts like the rest.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

Camellia;956293 wrote: Thanks guys,

debbie go to a car audio store and get the high quality power cables they sell them in short lengths.

i guess it would help if i read all the way through since rich beat me to it lol

This is what I really love about this site. We have Engineers, Chemist, IT, Contractors and Bug men all at your finger tips

Mikesmith34;956326 wrote: This is what I really love about this site. We have Engineers, Chemist, IT, Contractors and Bug men all at your finger tips

Yes, lol it's awesome!

I was at Lowes when he asked me what gauge right, well crap I didn't have a clue! So I told him, hold on I'll ask the guys on ARK :)

Great ideas, thanks so much I will pick it up today.

Picoreefguy;956314 wrote: debbie go to a car audio store and get the high quality power cables they sell them in short lengths.

i guess it would help if i read all the way through since rich beat me to it lol

Car audio cable is not rated for the voltage. I would not use that.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

Sewer Urchin;956408 wrote: Those guys are pretty good.... but the ARC guys are better and there are more smart alecs, too!

Yeah. The ARK guys will tell you it comes in cubits. Hehehehe

Back