Help...What is going on?

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
So these Zoas started closing up about two days ago. The only thing I changed was water flow from one of my gyres. But now it doesn't get as much water flow to it as before.
Parameters are...

Temp 77.9
PH. 8
ALK 9.1
CAL 417
No detectable nitrates or phosphates at this testing but they fluctuate between 0-2 for nitrates and 0-.049 for phosphates.
MVIMG_20200713_110452~2.jpg
The closed one that is poking up looks like it's breaking down or melting.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have those exact same zoas (what's the name btw?) Since only a few are closed up maybe something brushed up against them?

I have those exact same zoas (what's the name btw?) Since only a few are closed up maybe something brushed up against them?
I don't know the name...lol. and they have been closed up for a couple of days. Usually if they close they open right back up. But that's not the case.

I don't know the name...lol. and they have been closed up for a couple of days. Usually if they close they open right back up. But that's not the case.
gotcha. I remember my nuclear green zoas doing the same but the numbers kept declining (not just closing but disappearing). Caught the filefish nipping at them.

When I 1st setup my system I couldn't keep any zoa's for 6-9 months. Every time I put some in they'd close up and melt away. After that it was like I couldn't kill them if I tried.

When I saw some Chucky's Bride dying off in some spots it was because a mushroom that had broken free landed on them. Have you had anything come loose and drift around the tank or something that could be nipping at them?
I would do as Hui suggested and give them a dip. I might even cut out the ones that look like they're melting so it doesn't potentially spread.

When I 1st setup my system I couldn't keep any zoa's for 6-9 months. Every time I put some in they'd close up and melt away. After that it was like I couldn't kill them if I tried.

When I saw some Chucky's Bride dying off in some spots it was because a mushroom that had broken free landed on them. Have you had anything come loose and drift around the tank or something that could be nipping at them?
I would do as Hui suggested and give them a dip. I might even cut out the ones that look like they're melting so it doesn't potentially spread.
No I haven't seen anything out of the norm these past two days. I've had these in my tank forever. They pulled through my battles with Dino's and cyano, ultra high nutrients and everything else I could throw at them.

Could be irritated by vermitid or something of the likes. When i have issues I turkey baster them and see what I can see.

So I took a flashlight to the zoas tonight and all I saw were mini brittle star tentacles and amphipods around them..could this be making them close up?

Back