Help what is this brown film??? How do i get rid of it? Please and thanks lol

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
Im guesing maybe brown film algae?? I have to scrap it off the glass every couple of days. How do i get rid of this, i do a water change every couple of weeks using RO/DI from LFS. light is 150w geismann about 9-10 hours a day.

film.jpg
alt="" />
film2.jpg
alt="" />
film3.jpg
alt="" />

It was like this even when it was a barebottom, i just added the tahitian black moon sand a week ago. So its not from the sand, thanks for the info very informative, that pic is about 3 days of growth maybe 2 1/2 lol

I agree

acroporas;228711 wrote: The algae is Diatoms. There is always some level of diatom growth.
Usually you will have to clean your glass once or twice a week to knock off the diatoms.

If your picture really is < 24 hours after cleaning the glass, it is definitely growing faster than normal. Excessive growth is caused by high nutrients (NO3 and PO4) as well as excessive Silica.

Usually silica is the limiting ingredient for diatom growth. In fact some people dose silica to encourage diatoms to grow. (to feed their snails)

In your case where you are trying to limit the diatom growth, make sure you are doing enough water changes (what is your NO3?) and the water you are putting back in is pure and free of silica.

I agree!

Additionally, I notice you are not using normal aragonite sand. Many non-aragonite sands are largely composed of silica. You also might check that your sand is not leaching silica into the water.

Next time you go to your LFS to buy your RO water dont be afraid to ask to see the TDS reading of the water at the store. most stores have an inline TDS monitor on their RO unit. I have seen more than one store get very lax on changing their filters out when they needed it. you have to remember that your LFS makes a ton of RO every day.

Jeff.mcphail;228765 wrote: Next time you go to your LFS to buy your RO water dont be afraid to ask to see the TDS reading of the water at the store. most stores have an inline TDS monitor on their RO unit. I have seen more than one store get very lax on changing their filters out when they needed it. you have to remember that your LFS makes a ton of RO every day.

FYI: I last 2 lfs water that I tested were in their 40's. No better than their tap. My wife used the water for her garden.

Vey true. Or just buy a scratch and dent RO from MRC if they have any left.

Back