Help with berlin skimmer.

ga-peaches72

Market
Reaction score
I need to know how it should work. I have a pipe going into the pump for air but it keeps loosing its prime. Should this be happening? Also the bubbles in the top keep going up and down should that be happening? PLEASE HELP. Thank you all in advance.

GA-PEACHES72;129616 wrote: I need to know how it should work. I have a pipe going into the pump for air but it keeps loosing its prime. Should this be happening? Also the bubbles in the top keep going up and down should that be happening? PLEASE HELP. Thank you all in advance.

When you say loosing its prime , is the no more air being pulled in? you have pics, is this a brand new skimmer or used?

I just got it today it has been used. The pump is pumping just a little water and then a lot of water and so forth. Camera is dead forgot to get batteries.

How deep is the water it is in? Did you look at the pump before you put it in? Also make sure the air tube is not blocked (you can blow air into it).

The pump is about 1inch under the water with a hose for air in the top. It is getting plenty of air I think beause it has started to make a little foam at the top. But then the foam goes down and then back up again. Is this how it should work? The pump is still pushing water then air then water again. I thought it should do both at the same time. And the foam should stay at the top until it goes thru the pipe where it drains.

good call....blow air into the pipe to help start the "shipon" also if the pump is used try soaking it in warm water and distilled white vinegar to help remove deposits so it can run better....

I would do what slayer said, if the pump wasn't cleaned well it may not be working right. Also 1in of water is low for a skimmer pump. Is this a hang on or in sump?

the pump part is new the skimmer is used. the only part that is in the water is the pump. The skimmer is sitting beside the sump.

Ok so it is a hang on, there should be some sort of ajuster on the skimmer to set the water level and also one for the amount of air, try to set the level to the bottom of the collection cup. Just be careful you can overflow those easy and make a big mess. GL

One inch it might be sucking air from the intake and air line causing it to lose prime. Then is stops pumping the water raises then it sucks air. Dont know if this is the case but I had a berlin and the pump sucked hard enough to make a little twister of air when it was not deep enough. Just my thoughts... Good Luck

If you're using the stock pump, there is a dial on the front of it to adjust it.

what you're describing is not how the skimmer should work.

Try to turn down the air, it may be sucking in to much at one time, then it makes the pump fill with air which would make it stop sucking air then over and over again.

Back