Help with co2 scrubber

J0rG3

Market
Reaction score
I ordered a large ice cap co2 scrubber to maintain my ph stable… can someone help me how to install it in a reef octopus external skimmer?? I got this skimmer and no idea where to put the co2 scrubber hose
Thanks in advance
947E9A66-664F-482E-9FEC-BA0628AE54A0.jpeg

There's two ways to do it. The more expensive easy way that also takes up less space and the less expensive harder way that needs a little more room.
All the "expense" has to do with media consumption btw.

Do you have room for a skimmate locker?

I can help more later, slammed at work today.

There's two ways to do it. The more expensive easy way that also takes up less space and the less expensive harder way that needs a little more room.
All the "expense" has to do with media consumption btw.

Do you have room for a skimmate locker?

I can help more later, slammed at work today.
Yes please…
Actually I’m working now in the new skimmer locker (to control it with apex), I have one already but is a diy home made (not pretty lol)
Thanks for your time
0EB2232B-3C62-40AE-852F-8FBBF1F392AB.jpeg

Something like this? (That’s a 1/4” connector but I have some 3/8” at home) FA49982F-4BC2-4ECE-AA8A-E651D6D5571E.jpeg

I confused as to what Adam is trying to lead you to do. If I read your question correctly you have a large CO2 scrubber which will remove CO2 before it enters the skimmer so you can maintain the PH in your tank correct??? If so you want to hook it up with some type of tubing that goes on the air silencer on the skimmer which is the part that sucks air down to the intake of the pump. That way you will be removing all CO2 before it enters the skimmer and helps with PH in tank and you can also run a line and suck air from outside as well if that is possible. If that's not what you are trying to do then by all means follow whatever Adam is talking about. :)

I confused as to what Adam is trying to lead you to do. If I read your question correctly you have a large CO2 scrubber which will remove CO2 before it enters the skimmer so you can maintain the PH in your tank correct??? If so you want to hook it up with some type of tubing that goes on the air silencer on the skimmer which is the part that sucks air down to the intake of the pump. That way you will be removing all CO2 before it enters the skimmer and helps with PH in tank and you can also run a line and suck air from outside as well if that is possible. If that's not what you are trying to do then by all means follow whatever Adam is talking about. :)
By fitting the intake for the CO2 scrubber to the hole where the carbon filter went on top of the skimmate locker you create a recirculating scrubber. This keeps the air moist in the scrubber which makes the media work better, plus it's pulling already scrubbed air from the skimmer cup so the media will last much longer.

☝️Exactly what he said.

Something like this? (That’s a 1/4” connector but I have some 3/8” at home)
If you can keep it sealed that will work. 3/8" is the minimum ID though, 1/2" might be better yet.

Now the tricky part is sealing the lid on the skimmer. You need to tape or silicone off all the holes in the lid and then tape the lid down to the cup to seal it as best you can. Just try to keep all of the air leakage to a minimum. The drain line from the cup goes to the skim locker and the port you put in the carbon tube goes to the intake of the skimmer at the venturi. Thus creating a closed loop for the air used by the skimmer.

A neck cleaner would also be a good thing to add.

There are several ways to do something similar but I find pulling the air from the locker to be the easiest for me as the locker will hold the condensation and not over saturate the co2 scrubber.
Here are some vids.

For those folks who do not have a skim mate locker and don’t want to drill your skimmers, some folks are 3D printing attachments just for this purpose. See FishofHex website and others. They are retrofitting skimmers with an attachment to allow for CO2 recirculating scrubbing.

☝️Exactly what he said.

If you can keep it sealed that will work. 3/8" is the minimum ID though, 1/2" might be better yet.

Now the tricky part is sealing the lid on the skimmer. You need to tape or silicone off all the holes in the lid and then tape the lid down to the cup to seal it as best you can. Just try to keep all of the air leakage to a minimum. The drain line from the cup goes to the skim locker and the port you put in the carbon tube goes to the intake of the skimmer at the venturi. Thus creating a closed loop for the air used by the skimmer.

A neck cleaner would also be a good thing to add.

There are several ways to do something similar but I find pulling the air from the locker to be the easiest for me as the locker will hold the condensation and not over saturate the co2 scrubber.
Here are some vids.

That was very clear… I’ll try that and let you know the results
Thank you very much for your help ☺️

Back