Help with Kent Phosphate Sponge

tyleratl

Market
Reaction score
I just bought some Kent Phosphate Sponge to lower phosphates and silicates. I have a bit of a hair algae problem in my 34 gallon tank. Problem is, I don't know how much of this product to use initially. The instructions don't say. Should I use the same amount as active carbon?

Well, I decided to use the second half of a small media bag to place the Kent Phosphate Sponge. The first half is active carbon.

The directions do say that for first time use, you should remove it after 8 hours to 2 days. Quite a window! Anyway, I am going to probably remove the bag in 24 hours and toss both the carbon and phosphate sponge. Then, I'll add 50/50 of each and leave it in for a couple of weeks before changing. That is, unless the consensus on here is that there is a better or preferred way of doing this.

I'm going to bump this back to the top. Still hoping somebody is familiar with this product.

It's aluminum oxide GAO, not ferric iron oxide GFO. I wouldn't trust it more than a week in there without it release PO4 back. If you're less conservative, two weeks.

It all has to do with how much phosphate you have. Whe you see your level stop declining, remove it. It does a great job in the short term.

OK.. thanks Danny. I just discovered something interesting about Kent while searching for info about this product. They are owned by the same company as Oceanic/Coralife. I wonder if the same plant that makes Coralife salt makes the Kent sea salt. All owned by Central Garden & Pet.
a>

Yeah, I know all about that. Central Pet started buying up a lot of companies a few years ago. As of last year I can say this regarding Kent Salt.

Kent used to have Coralife mix their salt. Kent moved to Instant Ocean as the base for their salt. This allowed Seachem to take the place of Kent at Coralife. There are only a handful of actual salt manufacturers. It takes a huge amount of money to produce the stuff. A lot of companies use another's base as their brand while having them add their own blend of trace elements to it.

Kent salt is Instant Ocean with Coral Vite and Zoecon added in.

Back