Help with low PH please!

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
First off, have a JBJ 28 and just bought a RKL+, besides the directions being terrible...that is the least of my concerns. Tank cycled in a few weeks. Started with BRS dry reef saver and caribSea LS with a couple pieces of LR. Parameters are 0 except for nitrates which are in the "btwn" 10-25 area. I have done one water change.Added 2 trochus snails and 4 cerith snails and while i was there picked up a beautiful piece of purple coralline covered piece of LR. Now the weird part, my ALK is 9.3 but PH was 7.08 but has now risen to 7.18 since I've opened the hood and made sure my returns agitate the surface with even more fury! With my wifes test kit PH is showing about 7.75 (she does adopt a stream). The calibration was settled with fluid on the DA RKL+ ph probe...but now rising with the hood open. Long story long...if my ALK is good in the range should i even worry about the PH at this point? If so, should I add calc? BTW have not tested for calc as of yet, nor do I have a test kit. I know its probably a dumb noob question but would like some information on it. Thanks in advance, Ryan.

More than likely your wife's test kit is more accurate than your RK. Your fine if that's the case. I have a calcium reactor and my pH peaks at 8.1. I wouldn't worry about chasing numbers. However, by lifting the hood your allowing circulation above the water column. You could add a small fan to the lid to help with it.

With a couple of open doors, fan and open hood I am at 7.86 as of now. Temp has remained relatively steady. Shutting the hood and leaving flap open for a while as its cooling down. I believe its just an oxygen exchange issue at the moment. That hood seals pretty firmly and seals pretty tight. Ill experiment with it.

Back