Help With My New Skimmer!

fabbss

Market
Reaction score
I just got a MRC MR-2. I am running a marineland 4500 on it, the pump puts out 1100 gph max. I have plans to keep the skimmer outside the sump, because there is not enough room in it. Last night was a nightmare, I hooked the skimmer up and turned the pump on and the skimmer overfilled and sent water pouring out of the drains in the collection cup. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, so anyone please help! Thanks

You really want a pressure rated pump for a beckett skimmer. Opening the gate valve to lower the water level should help some.

Directions.

a>

The gate valve was wide open, is the pump the problem. Because I thought mag pumps could be used on these skimmers as well.

I am not real familiar with that skimmer but there should be an adjustment for the amount of wet/dry skimming you prefer. Set it to skim dryer and increase after the 24 hour break in period. The bubbles will eventually settle in to make your skimming consistant. Adjustment at the onset with a new skimmer can pose to be a little bit of a problem until it is dialed in. Don't over correct and give it time to develope a pattern before increasing. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks, I will try that but I should have mentioned that this is a used skimmer.

fabbss;344797 wrote: Thanks, I will try that but I should have mentioned that this is a used skimmer.

Since it's used I'm assuming it didn't come with instructions, so start with the link posted.

The previous owner gave me the original instructions. Thats why I struggling so much. I hooked up the skimmer per the instructions.

That pump will never drive the MR-2 properly. Get the correct pump and go from there. Anything else will be a huge waste of your time.

I run a mag18 on my MR-2 dual beckett. Whats the water level in the skimmer before its turned on? Open the gate valve all the way make sure nothing is restricting the output of the gate valve. You might even trying to raise it up higher the skimmer itself.

I am going to post some pics of the setup to make the explanation easier.

Skriz, what kind of pump should I be using? Given my setup I need one that can be used in my sump. I am only running one beckett on the skimmer

Okay, I took the refugium out of my sump to create more room. I have the skimmer up and running and everything is fine. But now I am concerned about what skriz mentioned that my pump will not drive the skimmer properly. So now my question is what type of submersible pump will do?

Thanks everyone for the help

I drive mine with a mag 9.5 which is even on the small side.

I have a mag 12 but just haven't gotten around to hook it up yet.

Those pumps all sound oversized - recommended is a MAG5...

EDIT: Oh wait, that was for the MR2-R, SORRY

fabbss;344839 wrote: I am going to post some pics of the setup to make the explanation easier.

Skriz, what kind of pump should I be using? Given my setup I need one that can be used in my sump. I am only running one beckett on the skimmer

You'll need a mag 18 for the MR-2; this will run the skimmer at a minimal standard. When you can use an external pump, you will see the true potential of the MR-2.

LilRobb;344911 wrote: Those pumps all sound oversized - recommended is a MAG5...

EDIT: Oh wait, that was for the MR2-R, SORRY

You're thinking FEED pump for the recirculating skimmers!

fabbss;344887 wrote: So now my question is what type of submersible pump will do?
From the MRC Website page on the MR-2
<p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-size: 12px">Recommended Pump </span>
<span style="font-size: 12px">BL-55 (PW-150PS), PCX 40, or PCX 55 </span>

a>

One Dumm Hikk;345114 wrote: From the MRC Website page on the MR-2
<p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-size: 12px">Recommended Pump </span>
<span style="font-size: 12px">BL-55 (PW-150PS), PCX 40, or PCX 55 </span>

http://www.myreefcreations.com/MR-2-Protein-Skimmer">http://www.myreefcreations.com/MR-2-Protein-Skimmer</a>[/QUOTE]

Those are NOT submersible pumps.

How is the skimmer doing give us an update. Did you get everything figured out?

Back