Help with overflow design

johnr2604

Market
Reaction score
OK so I am going to build my overflow today for my tank. Should the teeth be cut like an 1/8 or 3/16 below where I want my waterline? Also what how wide should I cut the teeth?

I wouldnt use teeth. you dont really need them, just have the water flow over the overflow like a nice sheet.

These are all going to be interrelated questions and will depend somewhat on flow. So I'm not going to tell you what you should do, but I'll tell you how my tank is set up!

My water level in the tank runs right at 1/2" above the bottom of the overflow slots. The slots are 1/4" wide and spaced 1/2" apart. I'm guessing that I'm running about 600gph through the overflow.

I like teeth to keep critters, stray Nori sheets, etc. in the tank and out of the overflow....

Well, I have an idea to actually build a lid for the overflow so teeth are a must for the design. Just dont want any of my livestock washing over or jumping in my overflow.

Gwhiz;176965 wrote: These are all going to be interrelated questions and will depend somewhat on flow. So I'm not going to tell you what you should do, but I'll tell you how my tank is set up!

My water level in the tank runs right at 1/2" above the bottom of the overflow slots. The slots are 1/4" wide and spaced 1/2" apart. I'm guessing that I'm running about 600gph through the overflow.

I like teeth to keep critters, stray Nori sheets, etc. in the tank and out of the overflow....
Thanks, I am going to be running a mag5 so it will be less flow. I think I will give try to expect around a 1/4 inch.

I got my design from this page. It gives you how wide the teeth are the spread and what flow rate you will get from it.

a>

I will post pics of my new tank setup tonight. I used two 1" pipes with caps and a bunch of small holes drilled into it instead of teeth. It works great. I use some airline tubing to allow air to get in and not gurgle. Look for my new tank build thread tonight!

I would love to see it. I already built mine though. I think I was overthinking it. Should work awsome.

overflow001jpgint.jpg
alt="" />

LOL its addicting. here is another one. I mitered the edges and it came out really sweet.

joshsoverflowjpgint.jpg
alt="" />

nice job on the third one. Mine is in place and I am going to water test the system tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow night at this time I will have saltwater in this new setup finally.

Back