help with RO/DI water

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
okay so this is the situation that I have going on right now. I have an 8 gallon biocube running and a 29 gallon biocube new in the box. for RO/DI water for the 8 gallon my brother filled up to 6 gallon jugs of water and I filled it up and brought back the empty one and used what I have left over for water changes, and then swapped that one out for a full one. So I get about 5 water changes per jug (after adjusting SG and stuff in the 5 g bucket, ideally I would get 6) and then I can swap out the empty one for a full one. So at any given time I can get up to 6 gallons of RO/DI water. we only have two nice containers 6 g each. His filter barely puts out water above a drip, and they have a bunch of tanks to maintain.. a 55 reef, 120(ish) FOWLR, 2 29g biocube reefs, and a new 55 now about to be set up, and at times smaller tanks as well. So when they are running water it is usually because they need it, and he works a lot so he barely has time to get me the water I need for the 8g biocube.

I need to invest in my own filter, but I don't think I will be able to squeeze enough out of my next paycheck. I'm doing the whole reefing on a budget thing for now :)
Soon though I might have something worth trading to someone, just need to see if we can find the return hose from the overflow box, then I will have a RP3 wet/dry filter missing only the return pump and the skimmer pump. I'm thinking that someone might have use for that seeing as how it is a pretty nice overflow box and a sump basically, and it has a built in skimmer.

What I need is to fill up my 29 g biocube and let it begin cycling. I'm just gonna set it up on a sturdy coffee table right next to my 8, and then when i get a stand I will just siphon the water into a 20g tank I have and a couple buckets and move it on to the stand. in the meanwhile though it can sit on the table next to my 8 bc I need the tank space bad. I have some nice live rock (abt 20 lbs) in a bucket with a heater and a powerhead. The water in the bucket is tap water that I used seachem prime and cheap salt mix to make.. just to keep the rock alive bc it was fresh out of Jimmy's system.

If anybody near me can offer me a solution I would really owe you one. I guess somehow we would need to basically load up 30 gallons of RO/DI water into my truck.. somehow. lol. Or, if anybody has an extra RO/DI filter that they want to let me borrow for a week or so that would just be amazing.
or if anybody has a cheap one that I could pay them for later, for $50 or so that would work too. I'm not goin anywhere. If I could just get the tank filled up and cycled which shoudnt take long bc I have LR then that would make life much easier because my little 8g is crowded and the scape isnt that great because basically what I did was try to separate the corals the best I could and fit everything in, rather than scaping. then I added more corals that I didn't have space for.

My name is Josh by the way and I am not exactly where it says Hoschton on the map. I'm close to flowery branch, dacula, buford, winder is not far.. I am really close to the hamilton mill area, my exit off 85 is one exit north of the mall of ga

Thanks for reading all this is you made it this far :fish:

I'll get home around 7 tonight, I have 20 gallons premade in buckets with lids. Pm me.

heathlindner25;845852 wrote: I'll get home around 7 tonight, I have 20 gallons premade in buckets with lids. Pm me.

Quality. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from Heath's. what a cool guy, his tank is awesome with some crazy sps
always cool to meet a fellow reefer in the area :)

just to top off his generosity, he gave me a free refractometer. turns out I'm at 1.027 rather than 1.025!

thanks again for everything Heath

JDavid;845949 wrote: Just got back from Heath's. what a cool guy, his tank is awesome with some crazy sps

just to top off his generosity, he gave me a free refractometer. turns out I'm at 1.027 rather than 1.025!

hydrometers are terrible...lol

apparently!
so does anybody know if biocubes are ready for water out of the box or if i need to rinse it out. it smells... new. lol. never had a new tank before

JDavid;845949 wrote: Just got back from Heath's. what a cool guy, his tank is awesome with some crazy sps

I knew I should've came over sooner LOL... Heath is a great guy and knows his stuff too.

Back