Help with Siphon Hole in LineLoc return?

gwhiz

Market
Reaction score
I have a Tenecor acrylic tank that came delivered with LineLoc returns. The returns come through the overflow box about an inch and a half below the water level (or where it will be, the tank is filling now!). I know that I'm supposed to drill anti-siphon holes in the return lines just below the water line, but 1 1/2 inches seems to be an awful lot of water to lose before the anti-siphon hole is exposed.

How should I go about getting an anti-siphon hole closer to the water line?

Thanks for your help on the first of a bizillion questions!

-George

I have a center overflow with two returns. Each return line goes to a LineLoc that Y's in the tank, creating four outlets. Regardless of how I break the siphon (hole or position) do I need to do it on each arm of each Y--i.e. four holes) or on only 1 arm of each Y?

gonna need it for each arm, they are both pulling water independant of eachother.

How big of a hole do you need to drill? I poked a small hole in mine and if I turn off the pump it sucks air, but there is still a trickle of water that somehow continues to back syphon until the flare nozzle is out of the water.

I think in my PVC overflow I have a 1/4" hole.....I think, might be smaller....It has to be big enough to suck in enough air to break syphon. Start small and keep drilling till it does what you need it to. Keep in mind it might be worth while to drill a couple holes just incase a snail is over that hole or something gets stuck in there once its draining.....def dont want to over flow your sump...then again you should determine how much water flows into your sump and accomodate it in case it fully empties till syphon break ;)

glxtrix;73386 wrote: I think in my PVC overflow I have a 1/4" hole.....I think, might be smaller....It has to be big enough to suck in enough air to break syphon. Start small and keep drilling till it does what you need it to. Keep in mind it might be worth while to drill a couple holes just incase a snail is over that hole or something gets stuck in there once its draining.....def dont want to over flow your sump...then again you should determine how much water flows into your sump and accomodate it in case it fully empties till syphon break ;)

Ok, thanks! I'll try drilling the hole a little larger. I've kept the return nozzle a little higher than I wanted so that the sump can't overflow but if the larger hole works I'll lower it. Right now I have the hole above the current water line since I didn't really care if water comes out of it.

well on mine, I have the 3/4" pvc going down like 3 or so inches in the water, but my syphon hole is almost right under water line, maybe 1/2"-1" its actually directly in line with my overflow...keep in mind all those points are going to return water to the sump till no more water is there.....so you have the over flow returning water till no more water can reach over the teeth and the return lines, but thats why you drill those holes in them (return lines that is)

glxtrix;73403 wrote: well on mine, I have the 3/4" pvc going down like 3 or so inches in the water, but my syphon hole is almost right under water line, maybe 1/2"-1" its actually directly in line with my overflow...keep in mind all those points are going to return water to the sump till no more water is there.....so you have the over flow returning water till no more water can reach over the teeth and the return lines, but thats why you drill those holes in them (return lines that is)

Right! I'm good with the additional coming from the overflow box, it's just that little trickle that continues from the return that worries me and I think a little larger hole will fix that.

glxtrix;73412 wrote: good deal man, let us know how things turn up :)
Ahhh--turning up...now we're back to my original problem. When I adjust the LineLoc's closer to the surface, they are angled up, so I then don't have a siphon problem--they just act as drains (not to mention blow water against the top of the tank)!

Is there a way to extend them (so they can reach nearer the surface and then end up pointing down into the tank? Will adding a short piece of air hose that ends closer to the water line work?

yeah you should be able to buy more pieces of locline at a LFS or online...maybe some people on here even have some for free or trade.

It also depends on whether you actually have locline. My return looks like locline but it isn't and neither the 1/2 or 3/4 can be used with it unfortunately. I got mine at Aquabuys and it can be seen here http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=pc_return_nozzle&Category_Code=n2&Product_Count=17">http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=pc_return_nozzle&Category_Code=n2&Product_Count=17</a>

If you have locline it is pretty easy to extend or shorten it with pieces being readily available.

ah yes i've used that before....you still shold be able to dril into the plastic "U" piece right before the ball snaps...tho that all depends on where it all site with your water level.

Back