Help with slime

rdrink25

Market
Reaction score
I am losing my tank to this slime. How can it stop? I am doing water changes twice a week.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Did u test nitrate + phosphate? What kind of light r u using? Powerhead/flow...

I need to get a new tester but using led's and maxspect gyre powerhead. Do you think I need to turn the powerhead up?

Agreed, nitrate and phosphate levels?

What clean up crew and fish do you have in there?

How often are you feeding?

Size of tank and size of water changes?

How long has the tank been setup and when did this start?

Have you tried running GFO reactor to lower your phosphate levels?
I would recommend that in addition to manually removing as much as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also found that cyano will be very hard to get rid of when you're running carbon. Even if you get your PO4 down it will continue to grow and cover more real estate. Getting your organics down is the 1st step then if you're running carbon and it wont go away remove the carbon.

Dosing H2O2 is also very successful at killing it off if it's cyano and not spirulina. There a good thread on it over at R2R by Twillard.

Get PO4 and NO3 levels in check. Siphon/Gavel vac the sand band. Cut back on feeding for a few days. Consider a 2-3 day blackout.

Try dosing Vibrant, it may or may not help you at this stage, but worth a shot. Big thread on it over at R2R, and has been working for me.

Where is your saltwater sourced from? How old is r/o filter? You could be just adding more phosphate with every water change. I did that

It looks just like what I've been battling for the last two months, but I've got it beaten back. I've run GFO in a reactor, cut back on feeding (especially dry food), done big water changes, two 3 day blackouts, increased flow, blown it off with a turkey baster every day and sucked up half of my thin layer of sand trying to get it under control.
It started to recede when I started dosing 2 part to get my alkalinity and calcium in line.
It's probably a combination of everything that is helping, though. That stuff is a bear to get rid of!

RDRINK25;1106754 wrote: I am losing my tank to this slime. How can it stop? I am doing water changes twice a week.

Some feedback from you would be helpful. Let's get this slime taken care of.

You absolutely need to clean the Gyre! You are not getting the flow from it that you would if it is clean!

I suggest posting a full set of parameters. If you don't have tests, I recommend getting them.

I see an eel there - big eater - big pooper, that can be part of the problem but posting parameters will tell the story.

How much are you feeding, and how often? How much water are you changing, and how often? Vacuuming the substrate?

It's a husbandry issue of some sort - parameters and the answers to those questions will help us help you.

Jenn

Back