help with sump

anthony

Market
Reaction score
this is probably been posted here before. Im building a sump with refugium. Actually already built it..im useing a 55 gallon tank with baffles made from plexi. But i used GE silicone ll .woke up the next morning and everything was wilting. So I took it out put the old one back in and rebuild the new one using GE l silicone.Which smells worst than GE ll. My question is , everthing ive read says that GE l Is reef/aquarium safe. But I noticed that the one in stock has a GE l* . That (*) has me worried. Does anyone know if thats ok? Also I scraped all the old GE ll silicone out but there was a small film of it stuck to the original tank silicone (about a inch) that I couldnt get off so I rubbed it til it was barely visible then siliconed over it with GE l to seal it in. Will that be ok? Should I use any kind of solution to wash sump out to get rid of residues? If so whats best to use? Thanks for the help..as you can tell im a newb. Anthony
P.s things are coming back to life but I dont think my tank csn take another hit like this.

How long did you let it set up? Needs at least 24 hours if not more because the drying agent is given off as a gas which could be absorbed by the water.

I know some of the GE stuff is fine to use and recommended. Just don't remember which. But bottom line, if it says "food grade" on it you will be fine. I know that some Ace hardware stores carry some marked "aquarium safe". HD sometimes has it but it is hot and miss.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Rich

The funny thing is most everything seems to be making a comeback...except my aptasias....my tank was
Infested with them and now I dont see a single one...lol maybe it was a blessing...lol

Edit: Yea I let it cure for a week...I guess I will just have to try and see what happens.. thanks for the help Rich..

Not a problem at all. May not have been anything to do with the sump at all. Could have had a swing in water chemistry or temp or any number of things. I haven't been doing this long but one thing I have learned is to relax. :). I used to jump at the slightest change. Then I learned that sometimes corals are just moody. :)

Since you said you are new, let me give a couple of words of advice.

1. Keep coming back here and read all the threads you can. There are some smart people here and they love to help if they see that you listen
2. Become a paid member. The benefits are tremendous but in addition any of our sponsor stores give a 10% discount on most items they sell but only to paid members. You will get the registration fee back many times over.
3. Try to make it to our monthly meetings. They are open to non-members as well. You will meet tons of people who want to help you. Many will give you coral frags to help you get the tank stocked up nice. We have one coming up shortly. Look under club announcements.

Last, welcome. We are glad you are here. :)

Anthony;829077 wrote: The funny thing is most everything seems to be making a comeback...except my aptasias....my tank was
Infested with them and now I dont see a single one...lol maybe it was a blessing...lol

Edit: Yea I let it cure for a week...I guess I will just have to try and see what happens.. thanks for the help Rich..
Is there a new cure for aiptasias then? jk

i know down here in columbus they sell marine land silicone at petsupermarket. thats what i use. i have used ge1 from home depot to on an older tank and it was fine. i did let it cure for a few days

Silicone II has an anti-mold/fungus agent in it... As you have learned, not a great choice for a reef aquarium. I've built quite a few DIY filters using Silicone I, let then cure for 3 days, and haven't had any issues.

The Silicone I should say pure rubber silicone (for windows).

I carry the Marineland cartridge silicone (for a caulking gun). Better to be safe than sorry.

Jenn

Cool.. im checking into it..joseays...I think were on to something...aptasia bgone or something like that ..sure we can figure out a name fir it...lol. thanks for all the help guys..

Anthony;828709 wrote: this is probably been posted here before. Im building a sump with refugium. Actually already built it..im useing a 55 gallon tank with baffles made from plexi. But i used GE silicone ll .woke up the next morning and everything was wilting. So I took it out put the old one back in and rebuild the new one using GE l silicone.Which smells worst than GE ll. My question is , everthing ive read says that GE l Is reef/aquarium safe. But I noticed that the one in stock has a GE l* . That (*) has me worried. Does anyone know if thats ok? Also I scraped all the old GE ll silicone out but there was a small film of it stuck to the original tank silicone (about a inch) that I couldnt get off so I rubbed it til it was barely visible then siliconed over it with GE l to seal it in. Will that be ok? Should I use any kind of solution to wash sump out to get rid of residues? If so whats best to use? Thanks for the help..as you can tell im a newb. Anthony
P.s things are coming back to life but I dont think my tank csn take another hit like this.

Only use the GE type 1 and not the GE type II like you used as the type II has mold reducers that might leach out.

If you want to remove all the residue from silicon you can use acetone on a rag after you scrap most of it off.

I actually use only Momentive RTV 108 which is the same type that aquariums are assemble with and I get it at McMaster-Carr and can be purchased in different sizes but I use part #7545A472. I always let it cure for a week before I add water to any sumps, etc that I use it on. Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the help guys. Got new sump set up with ge 1 . Hopefully it will all be ok..

Eric B;829184 wrote: Only use the GE type 1 and not the GE type II like you used as the type II has mold reducers that might leach out.

If you want to remove all the residue from silicon you can use acetone on a rag after you scrap most of it off.

I actually use only Momentive RTV 108 which is the same type that aquariums are assemble with and I get it at McMaster-Carr and can be purchased in different sizes but I use part #7545A472. I always let it cure for a week before I add water to any sumps, etc that I use it on. Hope that helps!

How much coverage do you typically get from the 10 oz size of the Momentive RTV 108? I need to do a 29g sump (so 4 baffles, I guess) and a 12" x 18" divider in a 29g. Would I be able to get by with the 2.8 oz tube, or will I run out? I've used caulk before, but never did a sump. Thanks!

djatl;830254 wrote: How much coverage do you typically get from the 10 oz size of the Momentive RTV 108? I need to do a 29g sump (so 4 baffles, I guess) and a 12" x 18" divider in a 29g. Would I be able to get by with the 2.8 oz tube, or will I run out? I've used caulk before, but never did a sump. Thanks!

You should have plenty to build your sump with a 10oz size as that is what I use and can usually get 2 small sumps made out of 1 10oz tube.

Some spots can get tough to reach so plan it out ahead so you don't back yourself into a corner, but if you do I either use my finger or a tool I purchased to do corner joints and can usually get it done.

You can probably get by with a 2.8 oz tube or 2 to be safe but I have never used that size so can't tell you for sure. I always go with the larger size and then ball up a spot on the end for later use!

Hope that helps!

Ok guys looks like the GE 1 is ok.. got sump in today and no problems yet...thanks for all the help. I will contine
To check in with you guys and offer help anyway I can...btw if anyone has a phosphate reactor they want to get rid of let me know...also has anyone
Here ever heard of a phosphate sponge? Do they work?

The sponge is NOT what they claim. They pull very little out.

Back