Help!!

mockery

Market
Reaction score
OK so I was gone most of wedensday and all of thursday, well i get home from school and i'm about to feed the fish and my water level is horribly low!! What should i do just dump in a bunch of RO/DI of what??? please help

Just add freshwater. Some people like to aerate,heat, and pH balance, but I never have.

Evap, salinity is at about 1.030. checked by my refractometer. So dumping all that water in is ok?

Yeah i just used my finger and the tank temp is cool, but the top off is kinda cold. here is hoping nothing happens!

Does it matter which finger you use? I'm sorry, I had to say that.

I do the same thing though, I keep a 5 gallon jug of salt water arating all the time, I dont keep a heater in it at all. when my tank needs a water change I use the water from the 5 gallon jug. If I am topping off I use fresh RO water that has been sitting in a 5 gallon jug without a powerhead. I've never had a problem.

you will be fine in my experience, you have a little less volume than me. i use straight out of the basement (stay about 50 in there) RO water when I am in a pinch, just dont make it a regular thing. wouldnt hurt to put in gallon by gallon though. you dont have alot to disturb (least last time i saw your tank) so i think youll be fine.

Just top it off a 1/2-1 gallon at a time and be done with it. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks Barb I am glad I am not the only lazy person around here. The 56g corner sucks some water and i hardly notice now that im in the basement most of the time now.

Barbara;290297 wrote: Sometimes I don't add water until I hear the pumps clacking! Oops!

Reminds me of my mother when I asked her to look after my fish for a week... I come home to a bunch of pissed off fish and a heavily evaporated tank. Gotta love parents.

Barbara;290297 wrote: Sometimes I don't add water until I hear the pumps clacking! Oops!

Me too. I figure when my tank needs water, it will "ask" me.

:)

On really cold dry days, I go through a bit more than a gallon of water each day to make up for evaporation. What I normally do is have the water in 1 gallon jugs and then heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes to get them up into the 70's.

a quick way to heat the water is to nuke/boil a small amount and add it to the larger amount. It will raise the temp of the top off water with a quickness.

Hey ya'll thanks for you help. I slowly warmed the water up and added water over the course of 24 hours

Back