Help!!!!

tcampbell23

Market
Reaction score
I came home from work today to my tank at 86 degrees because my temp probe was out of the water. I have no idea how long it was that high and I'm terrified. I had one sunset milli RTN but it was new to my tank so I'm not sure if that's the reason. I'm just panicking here because I don't want to lose anything.

I keep my tank usually at 79.5-80 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slowly being the temp down. Changing it quickly will do the most harm to your fish and coral

LSU_fishFan;1085679 wrote: Slowly being the temp down. Changing it quickly will do the most harm to your fish and coral

I woke up this morning and it read 86.0 from 86.4. Should i just continue to let it naturally come down?

Put a gallon size bag of ice in the sump until it melts and repeat until temp comes down.

I used to use a frozen gallon water jug when I had halides on very hot days. Put it in the sump next to my return pump. Dropped it 3 degrees in a few hours.

Either use the ice method or put a fan on it to bring it down slow. I use a twin 11" fan on my sump to control temp when it gets hot out. I can generally keep my 180 below 81 degrees this way.

What's dropping it too fast? I don't want to shock my tank

To fast in this case is defined as dropping the temp faster than it rose. Example...if it took 8 hours to go up 8 degrees then you need to take at least the same amount of time dropping the temp by 8 degrees.

I have no idea how long it took. That's the issue. I came home from work and that's what the temp was

I would try to get it down 2 or 3 degrees in the next say 8 or 12 hrs, just to get it out of the critical temp. Then slowly work it down over a few days to your target temp. Like others said be careful not to drop it too quick.

So I found the root of my issue. Somehow the heater on my reefkeeper was set to "on" instead of auto.

The temp has dropped to 84.7 since this morning. Is that too fast? All I did was set the reefkeeper back to auto

You should be ok. Glad you found the issue. Just keep letting it fall to your target temp over the next couple days.

tcampbell23;1085715 wrote: The temp has dropped to 84.7 since this morning. Is that too fast? All I did was set the reefkeeper back to auto

Is that on its own?

If so, it's not worth trying to heat the tank just to slow the temp.

Yes. I had a bottle of cold water in there for maybe an hour but it did next to nothing (86-85.8) then I opened the stand and turned a fan on for 20 min and that took it from 85.2 to 84.7 I've turned the fan off bc that's a fast drop

IMO just let it cool back down on its own. That temp is high.... But as long as you caught it I don't think anything will boil.... I would bet it will be back to a normal temp by tonight

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

This time of year, I just keep an extra fan blow on top of the sump just to be safe

Since you have a controller I recommend you do not run any metal halide lighting or T5 today and allow it to drop back down slowly on it's own with you being at work...

As grouper stated above it is not all that high but you do not want to bring it down too quickly as in more than one degree every two hours, 2 degrees in 4 hours etc...

You know it heated gradually as that's all the thermometer could do so do the same with bringing the temperature back down.

As of yesterday everything seemed fine. I haven't been home to check on it yet today. I will keep you posted. Last I remember the temp dropped to 83 something

Back