acura_rob

Market
Reaction score
what is on my sand bed?

securedownload-1.jpg
>http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/armein78/securedownload-1.jpg</a>

securedownload-2.jpg
>http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/armein78/securedownload-2.jpg</a>

higher flow supposedly. Or you could cut off your lights for a day or two. Siphon it out right before your lights go out. It;s usually caused by nutrient build up.

Looks like cyano. Test your water, change about 10% of your water and maybe redirect that koralia I saw in the other thread so that it flows across that area. Maybe even adding a second one would give more turbulance and keep it from having a chance to build up.

i had that exact thing very bad.......i added a powerhead (korila 2) to increase the flow and get rid of some "dead spots" in my water flow. Also i used "red slime remover" very expensive and it gets rid of the cyano but it will not solve the problem it will just get rid of the slim temporarily. So like i said add a powerhead and create some flow in the area and that solved the problem for me the red slime i just used for my viewing pleasure so i didnt have to look at it anymore.

Thanks everyone. I have two power heads in there now. I'm gonna do a water change and redirect my flow tomorrow.

Did you have any fish, inverts or snails die recently? How long have you had the tank set up?

How much flow do you have in how big a tank? "Two powerheads" can be everything from 100gph up to 3000gph or more.

people may disagree here but (in my experience) if you have an established tank that all of a sudden has cyano, it's because of something decomposing in the tank. In your cases, it's the cleaner shrimp. I would do a few water changes, sucking as much of it as you can, and wait it out. As you get the sudden burst of nutrients down from the dead shrimp, it will subside.

I agree w/ MvM... whatever that stands for... :)

Don't hit the panic button just yet. Just feed a lil less for the next few weeks and skim a lil wetter. It's just an excess nutrient issue...

Cyano has evolved to pull whatever nutrients it needs from the air...outside the tank!

Cyano will pull nutrients during the light cycle and release them during the lights-off schedule. It's best to syphon right before lights-off. Do a water change and make sure your skimmer is working properly or is up to par.

But, as Flinster (you'll always be flinster) and Jin have said, don't panic.

Back