Helpful Advice on Chinese LED Fixtures

genesis

Market
Reaction score
Just some advice on my experience on using the Chinese LED fixture. I always was curious about the effects of the optics that come standard on the lights. I will concur that they do specifically what they say. The fixtures with the 90 or 60 degree optics will narrow the lighting angle spread and penetrate to further depths of the tank. When the optics are removed it gives a better spread of the light more evenly across the tank without really high par areas directly under the fixture and dull areas outside of the fixture. My advice would be that the question of whether or not to use the optics will be on a case by case basis and will have many different variables as to which is the best choice. For someone using just one fixture suspended over let's say a cube tank then the optics would be a better choice as the light would be focused directly in that area. On the other hand for someone like myself that is using 3 of the fixtures over an 84 inch (length) tank, having a better spread would be more beneficial by not using the optics. In conclusion you must assess your specific tank and individual need to make the best decision for you.

Without optics
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1051806=64234-image.jpg
>
1051806=64234-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

With optics
1051807=64235-image.jpg
>
1051807=64235-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

With optics

Notice under each fixture the really high par. Corals in this area were bleaching due to too much light.
1051808=64236-image.jpg
>
1051808=64236-image.jpg

My current tank now without optics. Notice a more even spread and coral colors are coming back as I've lowered the intensity as well.
1051809=64237-image.jpg
>
1051809=64237-image.jpg

Their is an other option, depending on what corals and their location in reference below the light, you can also do a combo.
With outer ring of bulbs use optics or the opposite or even scattered.
I believe with out the lens you get a 120 degree spread.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1051821 wrote: Their is an other option, depending on what corals and their location in reference below the light, you can also do a combo.
With outer ring of bulbs use optics or the opposite or even scattered.
I believe with out the lens you get a 120 degree spread.

Yes with no optics or lenses just the light puts out a 120 degree spread. Do you happen to have a picture of this other kind of setup your referring to?

I think what Marlon suggested is to use optics over corals that need more intense light so optic use would be random or the example of using only on the perimeter limits spill of light outside the tank or on the glass. So I don think there is an example how this looks other than some LEDs having an optic and some not.

dball711;1051871 wrote: I think what Marlon suggested is to use optics over corals that need more intense light so optic use would be random or the example of using only on the perimeter limits spill of light outside the tank or on the glass. So I don think there is an example how this looks other than some LEDs having an optic and some not.

Gotcha &#128076;

i pulled out my optics over the hot spots and left the optics in around the edges. That way i wasn't wasting a bunch of light shining out on the glass walls of the tank. depends on how your lights are positioned though so just my 2 cents

outdrsyguy1;1051921 wrote: i pulled out my optics over the hot spots and left the optics in around the edges. That way i wasn't wasting a bunch of light shining out on the glass walls of the tank. depends on how your lights are positioned though so just my 2 cents

Makes sense

By optics, are you taking about the piece of glass that covers the leds?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ;1051972 wrote: By optics, are you taking about the piece of glass that covers the leds?

the actual lens that sit over each bulb.

GaJeep94YJ;1051976 wrote: Interesting. I didn't even notice mine had any

some fixtures come with out any at all, which would have more light spread and less punch.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1051977 wrote: some fixtures come with out any at all, which would have more light spread and less punch.

I noticed that most Reef Breeder fixtures that I saw came without them unless they were requested, and most of the chinese fixtures you get from like ebay would come with them standard. It's always best to order them with the optics and remove them if need be.

Back