Hex Volume Formula

cameron

Market
Reaction score
I think I have the formula done for calculating the volume of a hexagonal tank, but want to see if anyone has a more precise way of doing the calculation. I tried doing the 6 triangle area method, but can't find a good set of examples to verify the output. I decided to use the cheat method, but it doesn't seem to be super accurate:

gallons = ((2.6 * WidthOfOneSide^2) * height) * 0.004329

Any thoughts from someone who has taken a math class within the last decade?

Thanks, Cameron.

Given that all "hex" tanks are not regular hexagons (all sides equal) but are symetrical, the following formula would work:

Given the hexagon below, the face 2-3 is the front and 6-5 is back. Then:

a = length of 2 - 3
b = length of 2 - 6
c = length of 1 - 4

Surface Area = (a * b) + (((c - a) / 2) * b)

Now that I notice it, I can reduce that to:

((a + c) / 2) * b
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I haven't checked the above formulas, but if all sides are equal, and a=length of a side, then the area of the hex=2.598a^2. And if height=h, then,
V=2.598a^2*h

And to convert from cubic inches to gallons, multiply by .004329

(B X C X Height) - ((C-A) X B X Height) Volume in cubic

Your really just calc a fancy box. The 345 triangle will fit into the 123 triangle and fills it up to a rectangle.

Dude don't you know? MATH IS FOR SQUARES daddy-o

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

leveldrummer;60006 wrote: draw a line across the center of it, making 2 trapazoids and it makes it easier, calculate half the area/volume, then double it.

trapazoid area= (1/2 of the top+the bottom) x the height (not the length of the side.) that gives you the area of the half the bottom, double it for the area of the whole bottom, x height of tank for volume. divide by 231 for volume in gallons.

That the formula that I wrote above.

i just go online and look at the demensions of another tank and see if it is like mine.

I want to keep it simple for my program so right now all sides are equal. I will put in Georges algorithm if I decide to upgrade to non-equal sides as it seems simple for the user to measure. WBHowells refined my "pretty close" algorithm so I will go with it. I did the math in my head and came out with 2.6, but your number is far more accurate.

Back