Hexagon questions.

tanks4life

Market
Reaction score
Ok out of all the years I've been in the hobby I've never had a hexagon tank. Until now. I am planning on taking everything that will go in this tank from my fully established 90. My concern is 1 should I drill it or just go with a hang on skimmer and canister filter? And 2. Should the power heads be directed in one direction to create a swirl effect. Or can have one pointed to the left and one to the right where they will hit in the front center. If I place them up top the flow should meet front center and go downwards and to the back. I plan to.do the rock work on the back wall if I go canister hangon. Or if I drill the rock work will go in the center hiding the overflow since I would place the overflow in the center

I know there are advantages and disadvantages to both but I'm leaning towards canister and hob skimmer. With the second flow pattern mentioned...

Just wanted some other input. BTW tank is 46 oceanic hexagon.

Having a sump would be nice if you have the room. I would have power heads pointed in opposite directions on an alternating on/off schedule to mix things up. If you are going to stock this with long tentacle stuff it will make the tank fun to view as current switches back and forth.

Ok cool I can do that. I don't have a controller but household timers like I use for my lights should work. Thanks

Hydor makes a great timer for this, you can almost always find someone selling one used on here. That's how I bought mine.

I have a friend who has an hexagon tank with freshwater setup, honestly I wouldn't go with a tank like that, imo, I borrow him my eheim canister, wich is strong and still can barely pick up the waste from the bottom, might be lack of flow but since the tank is so tall is kinda hard for a regular size powerhead to lift the waste and aloud any hang on filter to catch the particles, the other issue you might find it could be the low PAR readings on the middle section and the lowest section of the tank (if so need it, if you want to care for your corals) because the tall tank. Sorry I'm against and for being the bad guy here, I just wanted to share my opinion.
And your case might be a lot different!

Back