Hey guys! New Member from Tucker

bycjoe

Market
Reaction score
Just wanted to stop by and say hello! My names Joe and I live in Tucker with my wife and wonderful 8 month old son. Im a SSI certified scuba diver and have always loved the ocean and started a freshwater 20g tall about a year ago, but that wasn't enough for me and after a little bit of convincing the wife let me buy a 40g breeder that I will be setting up once I finish building the stand and canopy and lights.

All that being said I am a residential contractor and am really big into DIY projects, feel very comfortable with electrical and plumbing, and have been studying reef tanks for about the past 3 months and have decided on a 40g breeder with my old 20g tall as a sump, I plan on drilling the bottom of the tank so I can get it fairly flush with the wall, I have a 24 LED kit from rapid with another 12 coming that will mount on my custom canopy with a Typhon controller.

Thats about all I have set in stone right now, still deciding on a return pump and powerhead(s), and debating on whether or not to get a skimmer as well as my overflow design though I have decided to make it myself

As far as livestock goes I plan on starting with some hardy/bright corals and at least a pair of clowns and would like a Flame Angel even though I've heard its possible he might nip at corals, Other than that I'm open to suggestions :confused2: I just want to take everything one step at a time and slow and try to make my setup as bullet proof as possible.

Anyways just wanted to introduce myself, I've been lurking for a few weeks and yall sound like a great group of people :yay: Ill put some pics up of my leds and tank once I figure out how to get them off my phone!

Darth Reefer;848751 wrote: Welcome to ARC! We will be needing lots of pics once you start your build.

Welcome aboard, Man. Greetings from Montgomery, AL...

BTW: Darth Reefer is right. Pics of your stuff is not optional. :shades: :)

Trying to upload pictures I wonder if I did it right? My son Luke helping daddy test out his new tank, and my LEDs test firing, The missing leds are going on a different driver so I can adjust the colors more
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
848756=43966-IMG_1859.jpg
>
848756=43966-IMG_1859.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1859.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
848756=43965-IMG_1878.jpg
>
848756=43965-IMG_1878.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1878.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Welcome the the ARC.

You can create a Photobucket account and then download their app for your phone so you can upload pics from it. Oh, and hurry up, we want to see pics real soon! :D

GA aquarium dive from 3 years ago, Not exactly aquarium related but cool eye candy none the less
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/Bycjoe/407634_10151260957066251_360103928_n_zps09faabd5.jpg?t=1363646689" alt="" />
[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/Bycjoe/IMG_0264_zpsb4c77a18.jpg?t=1363646082" alt="" />

Glad to have you on board . I start scuba classes in a few weeks.

MarkL;848771 wrote: Glad to have you on board . I start scuba classes in a few weeks.

Who are you getting your certification from? I may be biased but I highly recommend SSI, very very big on safety and the physics of diving. Nothing wrong with Padi or the others I guess but I have heard some stories, Could have been just careless divers and not the actual training though.

Edit:
bpatterson617;848772 wrote: Welcome! Looks like you are off to a great start!! I am planning a 40 breeder build also, but I think you will be done with yours way before I am with mine. :D

I dont think mine will get wet until middle May when I get back from my sisters graduation, I don't want to leave a cycling tank for a week unattended, there's still so much to do! I guess I should probably start a build thread huh? Maybe Ill wait till I get more stuff worth taking pictures of :)

Welcome. Here are a couple pointers. You can download TapTalk as a fee app and you too can waste tons of time on this forum. :). But it also makes it easy to upload pics.

Next, I think that livestock will out grow your tank (and wallet) very soon. :).

Last, it is called the GA Aquarium!!! If that isn't aquarium related I don't know what is. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing your build come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;848812 wrote: Welcome. Here are a couple pointers. You can download TapTalk as a fee app and you too can waste tons of time on this forum. :). But it also makes it easy to upload pics.

Next, I think that livestock will out grow your tank (and wallet) very soon. :).

Last, it is called the GA Aquarium!!! If that isn't aquarium related I don't know what is. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing your build come together.

Downloaded tapatalk just now!

As for livestock your referring to the flame angel? I've heard mixed reviews in 40 breeders and as far as the nipping corals goes so I'm on the fence on that one

Guess it's time to go start my build thread :)

No I was referring to Luke. :). Of course if you are not careful he may eat corals too. :).

rdnelson99;848826 wrote: No I was referring to Luke. :). Of course if you are not careful he may eat corals too. :).

He'd probably try right now, took him up to nemos last weekend and he was in awe....for a moment before he tried to grab the fish thru the glass, he's a future reefer!

Saw your post on bpatterson617's thread but didn't want to hijack his thread, I think I will go with the BA overflow and just hide it with a shroud that matches my stand, working on that build thread now heh

If you want to see one in action one day feel free to take a road trip out this way. Pack a lunch though cause I am in the sticks of NW Forsyth Co. LOL.

Or you could glance through my build thread. Search for "Rich's 125".

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned that the week you are gone is actually a perfect time to be cycling your tank. That's a week of it cycling without you looking at a tank full of water, without any livestock in it. That's the toughest part of cycling. :up:

Back