Hey I am new

ilovesam08

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am new to this website and hobby. My tank has been set up for five months now. and I want it to be a reef tank. I already have a yellow tang and 2 clownfish. What other fish could i put in there that are reef safe. My tank is a 55 gallon
PM me

Chrystal

Welcome there is lots of good info here. There is also a website that has a list if different reef safe fish that I'm sure someone could direct you to. I cant remember it right now. Look at some wrasses, gobies, blennies, basslets, cardinal fish, hawkfish and others. Just do your research.

thanks alot. are blue hippo tangs reef safe. I mean I dont want a lot of fish. just about two more. And what about a manderin?

I think a hippo's going to get to big for a 55. and the mandarin is a notoriously hard to feed fish. If you can find one thats eating frozen food I would say go for it though.

I would think of adding a wrasse or a pair of long nose or flame hawks. Also pistol shrimp and shrimp goby make a nice addition or a Cherub Angel.

alright well Thanks alot. I really appericate it. I am so glad i didnt buy one. lol.

calireefer;162433 wrote: I think a hippo's going to get to big for a 55. and the mandarin is a notoriously hard to feed fish. If you can find one thats eating frozen food I would say go for it though.

I would think of adding a wrasse or a pair of long nose or flame hawks. Also pistol shrimp and shrimp goby make a nice addition or a Cherub Angel.
I completely agree. Mandarins eat pods and only seam to do well in large established tanks. I tried to keep them back in the day in a 55 with no success because I had no idea what I was doing. Not to say you cant keep them but you better have a refugium and do supplemental feeding. You could probably keep the tang for a while but are at the minimum tank size recomended for tangs.

Once again thanks. I mean what all would it take to keep a manderin alive. I really love the colors. if you know anyother really colorful fish please let me know,

OK... and another question. I posted on the lounge but i didnt get the response i was hoping to get. I am thinking about going to chap. bay tomorrow... has anyone been there??? and our there prices reasonable? I also heard there was another store right around the corner I think its marine fish? anyone have any info on that store also? thanks so much for taking the time to answering my questions/.

i am also very new only 5 months but was lucky to get an established 180 g tank. saltwater city in kennesaw has great stuff and are very helpful to this roockie

Yeah I kind of noticed the lack of females here. lol. Yeh i know. I wanted to go to saltwater city but driving in kennesaw is crazy for me. I am from villa rica... so ya know.

I went to CBay today. You should also check out Salt Water City in Kennesaw. Marine reef is also a very nice store. It is well worth the drive to any of those stores.I went to Salt water city today also and spent money at both. Just depends what you want.

So you say the tank is going to be a reef. What does it have now? Any liverock? Corals?

Well Saltwater City is actually closer to Villa Rica than Cap Bay.

Cap Bay is nice and they have some reasonable prices when you factor in the ARC discount. I have yet to find cheaper salt.

I would say avoid the mandrin until you are comfortable that your tank is producing what it needs to eat. I know the colors are amazing and tempting but don't be tempted or you may starve him.

You can get amazing colors in the wrasse family.

There are alot of great fish with great color.

Welcome.

Umm I have about 50 pounds of LR. about 50 pounds of LS. A feather duster, a condi anemone. 2 false clowns, and a yellow tang. I was hopeing to get a blue hippo but people say thats not such a great idea.
Chrystal

Welcome to the asylum!

A http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/e_sixline.php">6Line wrasse</a> would be a nice addition if you don't already have wrasses in your display. Nice colors, beneficial to your tank and a good starter fish. The 6Line is reasonably priced and usually easy to find. Just make sure your tank is well covered.

[IMG]http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/img/sixline1.jpg alt="" />

Seedless Reefer;162469 wrote: Well Saltwater City is actually closer to Villa Rica than Cap Bay.
I was going to say the same thing. about same amount of time if you went the back way.

ilovesam08;162481 wrote: wow thats a really beautiful fish. Are they reef safe.
Yes, they do have a liking for small crustacians though. Just like most fish it depends on what is in your specific reef.

ok are starfishes reef comp? and what about turbo snails?

I heard that they werent

Back