Hey need help preparing for my corals

kasra the reefer

Reaction score
I just got my light for my corals from some recommendation from some expert reefers. I wondering what to do to prepare my coral I getting from a local reefer.

It's not my intent to come off harsh, but as I read your comment it has me wondering how much reading/studying have you done on your own... I suggest you research the corals your soon to be acquiring and I think you will find a lot of much needed information. Different coral species have different requirements.

Also, you can find a lot of information regarding lighting. Try looking at bulk reef supply. They've got a lot of basic informational videos they will point you in a basic direction.

When did you put your tank up, has it cycled yet? Disreguard what i am going to say here if it has cycled! Lol Make sure your tank has fully cycled, you will need to be testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. It usuall takes 3-6 weeks to fully cycle a reef tank. The end product of a cycle is that the good bacteria has coated everything in your tank and the ammonia turns to nitrites then into nitrate. When you start adding fish and coral you may get dangerous spikes of ammonia. If you don't cycle properly, It can cause fish problems with their immune system or scared gills and corals just don't do well. I have some corals for your tank when you let me know. Holley

It fully cycle and had fish in there for over 2 weeks there doing just fine and the ammonia fine in the test strips.

Welcome to ARC, Kasra!

If I may respectfully suggest, invest in a good quality test kit, such as Seachem, Red Sea Pro or Salifert (do not waste money on API. It's cheap - for a reason.)

What are all of your current water parameters?

It's best to go slowly with a new tank. How long has it been up and running, and can you tell us more about the system as a whole?

We ask, because we want you to *succeed*. We were all new once, and most of us have made most of the mistakes that can be made. If we can help you to avoid some of that learning curve, you'll be better off in the long run.

The great thing about the club, is that we are all here to help, and if you aren't quite ready for corals yet, there will be good people here to step up with inexpensive or free stuff when the tank is ready.

I think you may still be in the 'hurry up and wait' phase - even if the tank is cycled, you may need to do a bit more homework before you jump in with both feet :)

Jenn

Water parameters:

Vital for life support of fish, corals and invertebrates:

Temperature
Specific Gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH

More specific to corals:

Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium

Test strips can rule a problem in our out but they aren't ideal for getting precise measurements of your parameters.

You mentioned that ammonia is fine on the test strips. Please define what you mean by "OK".

Any amount of ammonia is toxic, particularly in a higher pH environment, such as in a saltwater tank.

If you haven't got the testing supplies to be able to at least test the first set of parameters above, then, respectfully, you aren't quite ready to attempt corals yet, in my opinion.

Again - we want to get you off to a good start, so my intention here is to lead you in the right direction, not to discourage you. :)

Jenn

OK, that is good :)

What about the rest of your parameters?

Jenn

Welcome!!

I just started my first saltwater, reef tank back in January. I read a lot, specifically on reefcentral.com. Check out the stickies and ask questions. I will tell you now, you can ask a question and you will get ten different answers from all self proclaimed experts. So, my recommendation is look for the common responses among all the answers. Also, as far as API being cheap - I have used them for years and years (15+) for basic ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test and I have never had a bad start up on a tank. I don't see why spending twice on a test kit you will only use a hand full of times to eventually collect dust with over 90% left. I am no expert, but it has worked for me.

Also, be patient. Never run out and buy something to add and expect a change over night, and don't dose/add anything you can't test for. Just my 2 cents.

My issue with API isn't that they are inexpensive. They have a very short shelf life, and are woefully inaccurate.

Rather than put good money after bad, buy it once, buy it right. For example, Seachem test kits have a 5 year shelf life, reference solution so one can calibrate the test, and they are only a few dollars more than API - and when you consider that the API will likely expire before it's all used up... is it really less expensive?

I'm not a 'self-proclaimed expert'... but I do know a little thing or two. ;)

Jenn

Kasra The Reefer;1053133 wrote: Ph 8.3
Nitrate 0.2 ppm
Nitrite 0.2 ppm
Salinity 1.024

You're getting there. But you aren't quite there yet. Nitrite is also toxic. For your fishes' sake, I'd add a dose of Seachem Prime OR Aquavitro Alpha to bind that up, it is harmful to them.

Some small but frequent water changes to dilute that out will help too, but don't do anything huge or it will just take longer to finish the cycle.

I'd add the Prime immediately though - so the fish don't suffer.

Jenn

Sorry - I wasn't referring to you - that was regarding asking questions in general on any forum. I see you on here all the time and I can say - you are here to help with your personal and professional experience.

JennM;1053134 wrote: My issue with API isn't that they are inexpensive. They have a very short shelf life, and are woefully inaccurate.

Rather than put good money after bad, buy it once, buy it right. For example, Seachem test kits have a 5 year shelf life, reference solution so one can calibrate the test, and they are only a few dollars more than API - and when you consider that the API will likely expire before it's all used up... is it really less expensive?

I'm not a 'self-proclaimed expert'... but I do know a little thing or two. ;)

Jenn

Oh I know it wasn't a 'jab' ;) And your advice was sound - seek several sources of information and look for common threads - and common sense.

Jenn

Kasra The Reefer;1053246 wrote: So are my parameter okay.

No, your nitrites should also be 0. Quoted Jenn's advice below. :up:

JennM;1053136 wrote: You're getting there. But you aren't quite there yet. Nitrite is also toxic. For your fishes' sake, I'd add a dose of Seachem Prime OR Aquavitro Alpha to bind that up, it is harmful to them.

Some small but frequent water changes to dilute that out will help too, but don't do anything huge or it will just take longer to finish the cycle.

I'd add the Prime immediately though - so the fish don't suffer.

Jenn

Back