high phosphates

matt7

Market
Reaction score
so i was testing my water as usual, everything normal no surprises until i get to the phosphates... i hadn't tested these in a few weeks because i was down to a few reagents but all of a sudden it was off the charts! hanna checker reading 2.5+! i figured there must be a mistake so i did it again same result! and then i tested my new cycling system to make sure and i got .4 on there so it must not be wrong... but how is this possible if all of my corals are growing great? the only thing i've had an issue with recently is a monti frag and a chalice frag... everything else has been doing great...

Coral can grow in high phosphates , it will turn the corals brown. Did you test nitrate ? Showing signs of algae growth?

kzoo;1105904 wrote: Coral can grow in high phosphates , it will turn the corals brown. Did you test nitrate ? Showing signs of algae growth?

haven't noticed any of my corals dying or turning brown. no algae growth besides coralline. nitrates are between 0 and 5.

I'm a big believer in not chasing numbers, phosphate test are notorious for reading wrong. But you can always add some gfo if your worried.

.4 isn't CRAZY high, but I would work on reducing it over time without panic.
Do this.
When you do a water change next time test the PO4 in the NEW water before adding it to the tank.
You want to make sure you aren't adding it because of a failed or old RODI filter or something like that.

SnowManSnow;1106284 wrote: .4 isn't CRAZY high, but I would work on reducing it over time without panic.
Do this.
When you do a water change next time test the PO4 in the NEW water before adding it to the tank.
You want to make sure you aren't adding it because of a failed or old RODI filter or something like that.

Good idea! I'm not really concerned about the .4 reading since it's on a cycling system with no livestock in it yet at all, more concerned about why my current tank was off the charts- could definitely be a faulty reading or something in the RO, i'll check.

.4 or .04...there is a difference. .4 is high imo.

But like you said, this tank is cycling....everything will be high. keep lights off during cycle and high phosphate wont be an issue.

Back