High posphate question

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Does underskimming have anything to do with elevated phosphates? I am thinking of replacing my skimmer to a larger one but I have phosphates in the 1-1.5 range. I did a water change and they came down to that so will do another water change this weekend but was wondering about the skimmer.

Thanks

yes, a more efficient skimmer will remove a lot more phosphates & nitrates.

Rather than buy a larger skimmer I would purchase a phosphate reactor. Use RowaPhos (it's the best!). That will bring down your PO4. Unless you have a very underrated skimmer for your tank size. Just my .02

fishwhisperer;212708 wrote: Rather than buy a larger skimmer I would purchase a phosphate reactor. Use RowaPhos (it's the best!). That will bring down your PO4. Unless you have a very underrated skimmer for your tank size. Just my .02

I'd have to disagree here. A phosphate reactor will only decrease your phosphates. A better skimmer will do A LOT more for your tank.

you want your skimmer to pull most of it out, then if u want it lower even still get a phosphate reactor with some GFO. Having phosphates that high removed with GFO would be tricky anyway. It would saturate the media too fast becomning quite expensive. Also you would have to do it real slow to give your inhabitants a chance to adjust (corals, I assume).

mysterybox;212719 wrote: you want your skimmer to pull most of it out, then if u want it lower even still get a phosphate reactor with some GFO. Having phosphates that high removed with GFO would be tricky anyway. It would saturate the media too fast becomning quite expensive. Also you would have to do it real slow to give your inhabitants a chance to adjust (corals, I assume).

By adding a little media at a time right to the reactor. I too have slightly high phos. And will be installing a phos reactor in a few days.

I agree with ralph that GFO is most effective when used as a phosphate polisher not as a phosphate bandaid.

I suggest though that you take the easiest step first and then progress from there. Your phosphates are high which just means your nutrient export < nutrient import. So, cut your feedings down and skim wetter. See if that helps your phosphate issues. If it doesn't... then think about a new skimmer perhaps or a more robust fuge and possibly GFO.

Also keep in mind that unlike nitrates phosphates will get absorbed by your LR and LS. So even though you take the proper steps and your nutrient import < nutrient export you may still see elevated phosphates for some time as the phosphates leech from your rock and sand into the water column.

Just out of curiosity what are your nitrates at? Phosphates are usually the limiting factor in nuisance algae growth so even in high nutrient tanks with lots of nasty algae the phosphate reading could very well be 0 on most common tests.

G'luck!

WILLIAM1;212772 wrote: By adding a little media at a time right to the reactor. I too have slightly high phos. And will be installing a phos reactor in a few days.

You're going to need to acclimate your tank slowly to that reactor or you will lose all of your corals.

example:say according to your tank size and bio load you will eventually need 10 tablespoons. Then start at like 2 to 4, and even though it will get saturated very quickly, let it. Change it maybe 2-4 weeks later. Just go slower than slow over months of time.

After a few months, you can start changing it out when it's saturated because of all the phosphates locked up in your sandbed & rock will take time to be absorbed.

Back