High tds

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
So it's been 1 year + since I've changed the filters on my rodi and its staring to let out water with high tds. The tds is reading 15ppm without going through di (recommended by Air water and ice). Is 15 ppm tds safe for my tank? My guess is no, due to not knowing what is passing through. But I have a feeling the tds have been this way for more than 1 week and my tanks have already been exposed.
Also, I've noticed that my green Psamacora has started browning out, could this be a cause of the high tds? Thanks

You guessed it, no it's not safe and yes it will cause browning.
With the holiday you will have extra time for additional water changes :)

What is the TDS after the DI?

Either way, after a year, it's well past time to change your prefilters. Keeping them clean prolongs the life of your membrane and DI. The prefilters are also the least expensive elements - so the ounce of prevention is well worth the pound of cure.

How 'bad' the TDS is depends on what those solids are.

So yeah, change those filters and get busy ;)

Jenn

JennM;1041236 wrote: What is the TDS after the DI?

Either way, after a year, it's well past time to change your prefilters. Keeping them clean prolongs the life of your membrane and DI. The prefilters are also the least expensive elements - so the ounce of prevention is well worth the pound of cure.

Jenn

Exactly what jenn stated.

the prefilters should get rid of 90% of solids before di.
i doubt cumming water has 150 ppm tds coming in. Also its a good idea to change the prefilters every 6 months.

home depot and lowes have the same prefilters in the water purifying isle. di resin is another story.

JennM;1041236 wrote: What is the TDS after the DI?

Jenn

With the di chamber on, the tds reads around 20 ppm. The air water and ice rep said it is possible for the filters, including the di, can leach back into to the water and be hurting the water more than help.

Russ-IV;1041323 wrote: Exactly what jenn stated.

the prefilters should get rid of 90% of solids before di.
i doubt cumming water has 150 ppm tds coming in. Also its a good idea to change the prefilters every 6 months.

home depot and lowes have the same prefilters in the water purifying isle. di resin is another story.

My handheld tds reads somewhere around 50ppm for tap water.

50 TDS on tap water is about average, I'd say. At my shop it ran between 38-42 most of the time.

The filters you get at Lowes/HD aren't necessarily as good as the ones you'll get from a specialty retailer.

I'm actually partial to the grooved, gradient-density melt-blown polypropylene sediment cartridges (versus the string-wound poly or even the smooth poly). The grooved ones have more surface area so they last a bit longer and if you know where to get them, they're probably less expensive than the ones at Lowes/HD. ;)

The carbon blocks aren't all equal either. Look at their rating for how many gallons they are said to be able to filter. They don't have to cost more either...

PM me if you want more info.

Jenn

LSU_fishFan;1041329 wrote: My handheld tds reads somewhere around 50ppm for tap water.

mine is 55ppm. get 4-5 tds before resin

JennM;1041332 wrote: 50 TDS on tap water is about average, I'd say. At my shop it ran between 38-42 most of the time.

The filters you get at Lowes/HD aren't necessarily as good as the ones you'll get from a specialty retailer.

I'm actually partial to the grooved, gradient-density melt-blown polypropylene sediment cartridges (versus the string-wound poly or even the smooth poly). The grooved ones have more surface area so they last a bit longer and if you know where to get them, they're probably less expensive than the ones at Lowes/HD. ;)

The carbon blocks aren't all equal either. Look at their rating for how many gallons they are said to be able to filter. They don't have to cost more either...

PM me if you want more info.

Jenn

what you say may very be true jenn. but the difference is negligible ime. they still decline after 6 months and the tds degredation is generally the same. the ge ones at home depot are food grade so not sure how that differs, but ill chaulk it up to your experience if it should be of further study.

Back