hippo tang :( ????

chris619

Market
Reaction score
I have had this fish for four weeks and all tests are fine. He has been fine until yest. when I added a 18W uv, since, on his side chilling on my substrate for two days???......but ready to eat always. Had a little ick but bought a UV and water is crystal clear. He looks great but....weird acting.....too lathargic....? Any advice?

Don't worry about it. Tangs get ick all the time when they are stressed out. With proper water change, feeding and he will get better. My powder blue gets ICK all the time. I have had him for 1 year and a half already. Powder blues, Blue hippos, and purple tangs are prone to get the ICK.

Don't go crazy and try to catch him, quaranteen him and dose him with tons of drugs.

Put some garlic on his food to help boost his immune system. That will help alot. Will not cure it, but will help him fight it. Has worked for me numerous times.

Garlic? do they sell this somewhere for fish or just any powder garlic from the store?

there's a product by Seachem called "Garlic Guard" that comes as a liquid in a bottle, you soak food in it and then feed. That's an easy option

You could make your own from scratch...fresh garlic, use only the juice. But, I would just buy some. I use this in my food every day.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Ecosystem_Aquarium_Garlic_Elixir_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Garlic~vendor~EcoSystem_Aquarium~SearchStr~garlic~action~view~idProduct~EC3191~idCategory~FIADAG.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Ecosystem_Aquarium_Garlic_Elixir_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Garlic~vendor~EcoSystem_Aquarium~SearchStr~garlic~action~view~idProduct~EC3191~idCategory~FIADAG.html</a>

But seachem garlic gaurd is good too. Just use VERY little. I use 1-2 drops per half cube of frozen shrimp, and that is a little too much. It is best to thaw out all your food and add it accordingto the directions on the bottle, but that is a PITA

All the garlic products work pretty well. I am currently using Kent Garlic Extreeme and it is the same stuff. I also would reccomend some metro(sp?) as well.

enough oxygen in your water? Those guys need a lot.

Hippos like laying on their side! Garlic will entice them to eat, but if he's eating, then you're okay.

The best way to combat ick is to feed, feed, and feed! Make sure your water quality is top notch too.

Back