Hitchhiker good?

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Looks like a starfish with a missing appendage, these guys okay for reef?
ed7cdd7ba0afde4362f0aa8c30b2bbaf.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also meant to post, doesn't have the dark spots on the top like a chocolate chip star but almost looks to fat for a sand sifter. I know the CC star isn't reef safe.

Okay I lied, after pulling him out for a few seconds he looks like a CC Star.
54a57a4f05746cd0a26b702b8b5b1d34.jpg
alt="" />

They multiple fast and do eat coralline algae. You can see the white marks on the coralline where they come out after the lights go off. :D

It's an asterina. There is mixed reviews on them as most are reef safe but some have been known to eat zoas.

Confirmed on Asterina sp. The brown/tan ones are usually harmless, although they can multiply to annoying numbers. They reproduce by fission - they tear themselves in half (which is why you sometimes see them with some short arms and some long ones.)

Usually the coral munching variety grow a bit bigger (to about dime-size) and they usually have little patches of red and/or blue on them. They are more rare than the tan/brown variety, which is what you seem to have.

If they bother you, take it out. If not - let it be. In the event you get overrun, a temporary single or pair of Harlequin Shrimp will get rid of them for you - but be prepared to rehome the shrimp when you run out of stars as Harlequins are exclusive feeders.

Jenn

Back