Hitting for the cycle

saltjockey

Reaction score
This is my first question and I am sure it will be an easy one for this group. I am three weeks into cycling my first saltwater tank. I have a 55 gallon FO system with live sand (no skimmer so decided not to do live rock.) I am three (very long) weeks into this cycle and ammonia now reads 0 (confirmed by my friends at Pure Reef) and nitrites are 0, with nitrates up to roughly 20ppm. My question is this...how long until the brown algae kicks in?! This is driving me crazy! I'm not the most patient guy and it is borderline amazing that I have held off adding fish this long, but I'm ready to get this thing going. Any thoughts on how long until I might expect to see an algae bloom?? :shout:

theres no way to give a definitive answer on that question sometimes you see very little brown algae or none at all in my experience

You might only see diatoms after add something to produce biological waste, a canister filter won't be able to handle the protein production once you start adding fish.
You will either need a protein skimmer or a lot of live rock.
A fowler tank is just that, fish only with live rock.
Add one raw table shrimp to the tank and allow it to decay, to give the bacteria something to feed on.

With the addition of a damsel in my setup I used Stability and rocketed through my cycle In a couple weeks. Each cycle is unique and patience grasshopper :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup I totally agree, I did my cycle with a live fish based on 15+ years ago knowledge :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MYREEFCLUB0070;1044646 wrote: You might only see diatoms after add something to produce biological waste, a canister filter won't be able to handle the protein production once you start adding fish.
You will either need a protein skimmer or a lot of live rock.
A fowler tank is just that, fish only with live rock.
Add one raw table shrimp to the tank and allow it to decay, to give the bacteria something to feed on.
What he said! You need to add an ammonia source for your tank to cycle. Grocery store shrimp works well.

All good thoughts. I should have given more details. I went with a fish cycle (had I done more research I would have gone the shrimp route) so I do have three cute little damsels happily peeing their brains out in the tank. So there is an ammonia source. I tested again last night and reconfirmed the ammonia level is 0, the nitrites are 0 and the nitrates are between 10-20 ppm. I guess I just assumed once the ammonia and nitrites returned to 0 then the algae bloom festival would begin. That obviously hasn't happened, yet.

As for the protein skimmer and live rock, I was trying to avoid more investment in this tank as it really is just a starter. I'd like to spend the real money on a 120 gallon reef tank. I thought I would only need a canister filter for a FO tank. Was that bad advice I received? :blush: If I need to add live rock and an over the back skimmer, I will, but I'd rather save the money for the next build if it isn't necessary.

Put some live rock in this tank. By the time your 120 is set up the rock will be seeded and you can move it to the 120 giving it a little jump start.

rdnelson99;1044871 wrote: Put some live rock in this tank. By the time your 120 is set up the rock will be seeded and you can move it to the 120 giving it a little jump start.

+1

Live rock and limit number of fish to this system until better filtration is in place.

Back