HOB sump

lalebeq

Reaction score
So i am looking for some input i have a very small nano reef tank and i am wanting to replace the current Aqueon Quiet Flow 10

I have and idea for a Sump/fuge as a sorta HOB or really sit up against the back of my tank hehe

the intake would be powered by something like a maxi jet 400 and the return would just flow back into the tank using a lip

anyway this is the design i have so far please feel free to poke as many holes in it as you can find just don't make fun of my awesome artwork!!! lol

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33470&stc=1&d=1321037673" alt="" />
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/704058=33470-untitled.jpg>
704058=33470-untitled.jpg
class="gc-images" title="untitled.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I was considering using/converting a HOB Refugium as a HOB Sump for my 30 cube. I ended up going a different direction, but the design you have created seems like it would work well for what you are trying to achieve.

I don't think you really need the actual bubble trap as you have to "overs" and one "under" after the skimmer. You could leave it if you want, afterall, better safe than sorry!

Edit: Is the airstone part of the skimmer or an additional airstone independant of the skimmer? (I just now noticed this)

If it's an additional airstone, that would definitely not be needed, as the skimmer would oxygenate the water enough.

well was hoping to create a kinda skimmer chamber to create a Protein skimmer useing an air stone .... is that possible?

You'd be better off with an inexpensive Lee's Skimmer that uses the wooden airstone in that chamber of the sump. I'd invest in an aquatic life 115 protein skimmer, Slim Skim, or Tunze 9002 before I tried to DIY a Skimmer Chamber.

What you're proposing can be done, but more difficult than you think.

Design it so that the Oceanic Biocube skimmer fits in it. They're small and highly effective for their size. I just happen to have one for sale too (and that's not why I mention it). I think if you look....it will take less space and work better than the Lee's skimmer. It will cost less than any skimmer that Dakota mentioned above.

LOL, (well, more like a light chuckle...)

I came back to this post to mention the biocube protein skimmer that was up for sale. It would fit in a minimum amount of space.

It is small and more cost effective

Dakota9;704085 wrote: LOL, (well, more like a light chuckle...)

I came back to this post to mention the biocube protein skimmer that was up for sale. It would fit in a minimum amount of space.

It is small and more cost effective

Thanks Dakota! All ad plugs welcome :thumbs:

lalebeq;704092 wrote: sweet i will look into that is it under the Dry goods section?

Yes it is. You can do a Community search on my name and look at my posts or it should be a fairly new post under Drygoods.

Back