Hobbyist / Retailer..help out a moving reefer?

maceface

Reaction score
Hello!

Very Strange Request but thought id give it a shot.

Im moving from Los Angelest to Atlanta at the end of this month (June).

I have a 200 gallon Reef tank jamed packed with fully grown SPS..LPS and a few softies.

I have a friend in the buisness that is going to help me box everything up and ship it via is southwest Cargo account to Atlanta. Going to be about 10 large boxes worth of coral.

My origininal plan is to fly to atlanta first..set ups a 150 gallon rubbermaid..come back to LA..ship the coral..fly back to atlanta and put everything in the rubbermiad untill we move into a permanent residence then set the tank up at that time.

But I then thought maybe there is a buisness in the area or someone has a varge frag tank / Room at thier house that I can rent from then for a month or so?

Figured Id give it a chance..let me know.

Thanks!

Now that is insane love for your reef lol. I'm sure someone here will help you. Welcome to the ARC:yay:

I understand completely, but that sounds like an awful lot of work. And you never know how your corals will respond to such an upheaval and change in conditions. Seems like a lot of work and money outlay for a potentially iffy outcome.

Personally, I would probably have a a big sale in LA, then start fresh out here. If your tank is full of already grown corals, you will end up thinning them out soon anyways. I have always enjoyed the growing out phase of a reef tank's development. Only downside to good growth in an SPS tank is you might be able to have 75 different species in the beginning with frags or small pieces, but you will end up with room for only a few mature colonies as they grow in size.

But, best of luck to you if you are able to arrange it. There are always nice used systems out here at good prices if you sell your tank in LA. I would not want to deal with the logistics of a move that large, personally, let alone the expense of moving a 200 gallon tank from one coast to the other.

Another option for you would be to house them temporarily in LA with someone there, then have them shipped out here after you have a tank set up for them here.

Acroholic;872069 wrote:
Personally, I would probably have a a big sale in LA, then start fresh out here. If your tank is full of already grown corals, you will end up thinning them out soon anyways.

+1
another idea would be to frag alot of it and sell there and also SELL HERE to your new home. That way if
you ever wanted a certain piece of it back or a frag of it again to grow out you would have better luck getting it back.

I will send you my address and you can ship to me. (setting up a fake address as we speak, opening a Craig's List for sale thread right now) When you get here if I don't answer the phone the first time just keep trying. hehehehehehe

Just kidding. Looking forward to having you hang around with us. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Acroholic;872069 wrote: I understand completely, but that sounds like an awful lot of work. And you never know how your corals will respond to such an upheaval and change in conditions. Seems like a lot of work and money outlay for a potentially iffy outcome.

Personally, I would probably have a a big sale in LA, then start fresh out here. If your tank is full of already grown corals, you will end up thinning them out soon anyways. I have always enjoyed the growing out phase of a reef tank's development. Only downside to good growth in an SPS tank is you might be able to have 75 different species in the beginning with frags or small pieces, but you will end up with room for only a few mature colonies as they grow in size.

But, best of luck to you if you are able to arrange it. There are always nice used systems out here at good prices if you sell your tank in LA. I would not want to deal with the logistics of a move that large, personally, let alone the expense of moving a 200 gallon tank from one coast to the other.

Another option for you would be to house them temporarily in LA with someone there, then have them shipped out here after you have a tank set up for them here.

+1 Who doesn't love starting over :)

Back