Hogfish harassing Wrasse

soxx

Market
Reaction score
Need some advice or help. Just purchased a beautiful lineatus wrasse from liveaquaria. Put it in my 90 and my 3 year old hogfish would not leave it alone;even tried to bite it twice on the back. I netted the wrasse in put it temporarily in my 30. This wrasse is about 4 inches long ; hogfish about 3 inches long. Have added a clown wrasse before and this agressive hogfish behavior calmed down after a couple of days. Should I reintroduce the wrasse and see if it calms down or what? Any thoughts would be appreciated. As you know Lineatus Wrasse are not cheap. Got this one because someone posted on this site that liveaquaria had them on sale for 109.00. This fish is beautiful. :unsure:

Hogfish in general are aggressive to fairie and flasher wrasses. They seem to get more aggressive with maturity much like a sixline or other lined wrasse. What type of hogfish is it?

I would not recommend just putting the lineatus back in without some assistance from you. Try the picture method of taping pics to the tank wall of the aggressor fish and the victim fish. Put a bunch of them on there, it'll freak the hogfish out and help curb that initial introduction aggression as it gets a lil confuzzled. Slowly remove pics as the days pass by and hope that the hogfish doesn't have just the intro aggression in its nature...

FutureInterest,
Thanks for the info and advice. The Hogfish is a twin spot candy hogfish. She is mostly yellow in color with a white belly. Picture idea is pretty cool........It's funny, when I added my Pink Margins a month ago, the hogfish didn't even notice them. If you have any other thoughts let me know. .....Soxx

I used to have that fish and I loved it. Bodianus bimaculatus. One day after years of peaceful coexistance it decided that it didn't like one of my favorite flasher wrasses. It wouldn't harass any of my other 14 wrasses, just that particular flasher male. I ended up selling that beautiful hogfish to a member.

My guess is that the hogfish is being a lil picky with its aggression for now. That may change though in the future as it matures and you may have more trouble on your hands... Let us know if the picture thing works for yah or not :).

Thanks FutureInterest,
This Hogfish doesn't realize that he is playing with house money. A year ago, I found him doing a little carpet surfing. Thought he was about dried up; saw one last breath,Put him in a net back in the tank.....He survived.....I mean he was moments from the royal flush! So I actually have a soft spot for him BUT, not enough that he would kill my new Lineatus. Thanks Again...Soxx

Back