Home Depot Tubing. Good or Nah?

Sun1914

Reaction score
Have a UV light I'm looking to plumb. My thought is to use the secondary pump in the rear chamber of my Red Sea Tank but I need hose.
Wondering if anyone has experience with HDs tubing when it come a reef tank.

You're talking about the clear vinyl tubing it's the same that anybody else would have

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I've use the vinyl tubing plenty without incident. It works just fine and seem to hold up without any ill effects shown on the tanks.

HD sells pond black vinyl tubing that works great on tanks. Used it on multiple temporary setups and where I needed some flexibility.

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.
Now that I know the tubing is usable I just have to figure out a way get this uv set up. The barb fitting on the uv aren't ideal but you gotta work with what you have.

Just use screw tightening clamps over the vinyl on the barbs for peace of mind. I have my UV done like that as well.

I prefer these ratcheting clamps on vinyl if they are going to get wet. Which most things do in this hobby. Just a preference.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I use the black vinyl pond tubing, It works great and its flexible but not too flexible that it would kink.
I use the stainless steel clamps for the outside of the tank and zip ties for the inside, never had an issue.
I would 100% invest into some silicone tubing to run from the pump to the vinyl tubing to cut down on vibrations.

I use the black vinyl pond tubing, It works great and its flexible but not too flexible that it would kink.
I use the stainless steel clamps for the outside of the tank and zip ties for the inside, never had an issue.
I would 100% invest into some silicone tubing to run from the pump to the vinyl tubing to cut down on vibrations.
I forgot to mention the reason I use black is so algae doesn't grow in the tubing.
I heard that a while back no idea if its true but it sounds true enough haha

Back