Homemade Coral/Anemone suitable light fixture

aholley19

Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever made their own, or modified an existing fixture to fit T5 or some type of high output lighting suitable for growing corals and anemones? I have a 20 and a 30 gallon set up and would like an anemone for my clowns and to be able to have some of the cooler corals. Had my tanks set up for probably 8 weeks now so saltwater is all new to me. Just wondering if there is any way around $400 light fixtures

They do make diy kits for t5s and maybe even LEDs for that small of a tank in your price range. I wold rcommend LEDs and u will love them. Look on eBay and maybe even look at some of the diy threads on here

For under 400 you could put 2 or 3 Par 38 bulbs on your tank and that should be fine for an anemone as well as coral.

I know of one person that has a RBTA under a single PAR 38 bulb and it's doing great.

Ummm for 400 u can pretty much get most light fixtures for tank, including LED ones.

Any of you guys ever heard of an odyssea 36'' T5 fixture? Wondering if anybody has had any experience with one and if they are any good and if this would work for what I am wanting in my 30 gal. Just saw it on ebay for $100 or so which is more my price range but I don't want to buy a piece of junk

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's a 156W fixture. The price seems too good to be true so I wanted some second opinions

Aholley19;640811 wrote: Any of you guys ever heard of an odyssea 36'' T5 fixture? Wondering if anybody has had any experience with one and if they are any good and if this would work for what I am wanting in my 30 gal. Just saw it on ebay for $100 or so which is more my price range but I don't want to buy a piece of junk

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's a 156W fixture. The price seems too good to be true so I wanted some second opinions

I have their 30" fixture and it won't even open up palys that are way high in the tank. Don't know if it's a bulb issue or what.

Back