Homemade Magnetic Pump Holder. Will it work?

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I bought a Tunze 6060 on Ebay. It works well, but has no hanger what so ever. I'm thinking about taking an old magnetic glass scraper and epoxying it to the side of the pump, then using the other piece of the magnet on the outside of the tank to position the flow where I want it.

Whats the downside to this? Any?

Thanks

First obsticale realized (well, besides spelling), the magnetic glass scraper I have on hand can barely hold it'self on the glass. I wouldn't imagine even attempting the weight of the pump. I need bigger magnets.......

wow, those are some wild crazy magnets!

And thanks for the link!

Could you dip them in the liquid rubberized stuff that you use to dip tool handles in? I dont know, just a thought.

a>

Not to put a dampers on anything that is potentially moving the hobby forward, but have you thought about how these magnets effect your pumps function.

All pumps use magnetism to drive the impellor. With a Tunze magnet it is specially designed to work in conjunction with these pumps.

I dont want you to go down a route that breaks your pump and because you've modified your pump your warranty is null and void.

On the other hand. Why dont you contact Tunze and get the parts you need. Roger will be happy to help you.

Junkie, I thought about that stuff as well!

Simon, I did think about that too, and figured a magnet is a magnet is a magnet. I could be wrong though. My Tunze Nano Magnet is so strong its hard to pull it apart. I think the Magnet goes on the back of the 6060, so any mod I'd do would need to be at the back, as originally I'd wanted to mount the magnet on the side for the flow direction I wanted, but I think thats too close to the internal magnetic drive of the pump. I'm going to keep researching.
I've thought about moding the mag holder from the Nanostream for the 6060, but then I run the risk of ruining both pumps.

Dakota just buy the magnet holder from tunze or there are magnet holders from other manufacturers that will work as well. If the magnets are not completely sealed they will corrode and leech some nasty heavy metals into your system. Also the cost of a holder and the cost of buying your own magnets, supplies and time involved just doesn't seem worth it... the cost/reward ratio of this diy is just not there imo :).

yeah just buy them dude would hate to see your tank crash cauuse the this is corroded

OK, heard loud and clear, although I feel my creative genius has been squelched. Only through the nutty ideas am I finally going to be able to DIY a 28watt bulb to 350 PAR.

I don't want to squelch your creativity brother! Keep it coming, this one just isn't worth it because there are reasonably priced commercial alternatives available. That being said I did make a magnet holder from said magnets for my modded maxijet as there was nothing available at the time. It worked well, for a time... but even though they were sealed in epoxy and silicone somehow one of them started to corrode into my tank. That was not good! :(

You can get the sure grip holders for $30 each. Sammy has them. I use them for my tunzes and they hold tight on 3/4" glass!

If you want the stock holders, I have mine still and you can have. LMK if you want it Dakota

Stock holders?

If it will hold my 6060 on the tank then He[[ yes, would love to have it!

Thank you!

Back