Homewrecker ID?

jetlink82

Market
Reaction score
I bought a table acro a few days ago, put it in the tank and noticed this little guy crawling around in it a few hours later. I didn't think much of it and thought.."hey that's cool, a free crab". Yesterday I noticed some of the acro looked like it had been picked at and eaten off, but I didn't see the crab. I was just randomly looking at my tank and was looking at another acro that has been growing like a weed. I noticed a small white are that looked bleached which wasn't there yesterday. I went to the side of the tank to get a side view of the branch of the coral and there was the crab! I watched him for a minute and he was picking at the acro and eating it! AHHH!

Here is the little homewrecker, I managed to pry his grip from the coral and get him out. I put him in the sump for now where he can't terrorize any more coral. Anyone know what it is? It is slightly smaller than a dime.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
956366=53862-c2.jpg
>
956366=53862-c2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="c2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
956366=53861-crab.jpg
>
956366=53861-crab.jpg
class="gc-images" title="crab.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I think it might be a Xanthid crab. Searching around I see that if a crab has black tips on its claws (like this one does), blue eyes, and is hairy, then they are bad.

Come on Stacy...Jessie... unless somebody sets up a tank dedicated to garilla crabs , who could house one of those?

I donated one to rebredding when I had one and he had his tank up.

Somebody out there would want it... At the end of the day doesn't hurt asking.

DawgFace;956453 wrote: I donated one to rebredding when I had one and he had his tank up.

Somebody out there would want it... At the end of the day doesn't hurt asking.

of course somebody would want it.... I'll take him and put it in my mantis tank... but at the end of the day that sucker is still dead.

Ha evil!

Truth be told I'm not sure what redredding did with that thing or if he had a Mantis.

Kinda ruining my one good deed I did I'm life man!

DawgFace;956459 wrote: Ha evil!

Truth be told I'm not sure what redredding did with that thing or if he had a Mantis.

Kinda ruining my one good deed I did I'm life man!

Lol

I just put the little guy in the sump, I couldn't kill it. I'm just happy it's not in the display tank anymore. Hopefully the tissue on the two Acros it was picking at will come back.

Back