Homochirality of amino acids and other additives

Whatskillz

Supporting
Reaction score
I don't know much just watched a you tube video about chiral molecules.
Does any one know if the stuff we add to our tanks matches the chirality of the enzymes of the corals we are trying to feed.

It seems like it might be a why some don't work and some seem to

Does any one know if the stuff we add to our tanks matches the chirality of the enzymes of the corals we are trying to feed.

Often compounds that have chirality are not separated. Both enantiomers are produced at the same time and are sold mixed. So long as the active portion of the compound is not impacted by the chirality then both enantiomers should have the same affect. However in the case that chirality does matter then only one enantiomer will be active. The thing you really have to be careful about is when one enantiomer is safe and the other causes problems. This happened years ago in England with a morning sickness pill. One of the enantiomers was safe and the other caused birth defects.

When it comes to enzymes, the shape of the active site is primarily what matters. So long as the enzyme folds properly and is activated if necessary then it will work assuming no other inhibitions. If the chiral part of the molecule does not impede proper folding, block target molecules from reaching the active site, and it does not change the shape of the active site chirality should not matter.

This is all an oversimplication of course. Chirality and its impact on enzymes is complex and varies from enzyme to enzyme.

Great point though. I am sure there are products out there where only one enantiomer works but both are sold as a mixture because the other is not harmful and it is very costly to separate them in many cases.

By any chance do we know what chirality of stuff the corals need? Instead of a mixture more of a specific additive
Someone with more knowledge of corals can answer this for you better than I can. I know corals get a good bit of their energy from the zooxanthella that live in them. The zooxanthella use photosynthesis to produce sugars the corals eat. Corals also eat stuff in the water like fish and bacteria I think too. I am not sure chirality comes into play with the things that corals need to thrive.

Been a while since organic chemistry, but as I recall, the vast majority of biochemically active chiral compounds in nature are levorotary (rotates polarized light counter clockwise relative to reference axis of the molecule).

While there are exceptions regarding chirality and biochemical activity, as mentioned above regarding the morning sickness pill (thalidomide, as I recall?), most active compounds are one or the other.

Very few, if any, dextrorotary compounds show activity as enzymes, amino acids or proteins. A concept known a homochirality. Sugars on the other hand are always dextrorotary. Below is an interesting article about homochirality.

There are also interesting, but sometimes deadly, anomalies involving compounds like proteins formed from misfolded shapes yet still react with normal ones. These are a class known as a prions. They result in mad cow, chronic wasting in deer and Creutzfeld-Jacob disease in humans. A truly horrible disease!

“Prions are misfolded proteins that have the ability to transmit their misfolded shape onto normal variants of the same protein. They characterize several fatal and transmissible neurodegenerative diseases in humans and many other animals.”

Organic chemistry is a truly wonderful and yet immensely challenging subject to comprehend. It’s like learning a new language, along with new area/rules of science and having to imagine it all mentally in 3D & living color, all at the same time.
Enjoy!

Organic chemistry and biochemistry were my favorite classes by far. Biochemistry in particular is fascinating to me.

You are correct, Thalidomide is the drug I was referring to.

So, short answer is that all enzymes, amino acids and proteins they are formed from are the same (that I am aware of anyway?).

Nature throws curve balls on occasion, so there may be some exceptions to this?

@Whatskillz curious to know what caught your eye, leading you to watch videos on chiral compounds? I’d guess maybe 98% of the human race has never heard of it?

Organic chemistry and biochemistry were my favorite classes by far. Biochemistry in particular is fascinating to me.

You are correct, Thalidomide is the drug I was referring to.
Along with physics, and now cybersecurity, my favorites too!

Homochirality is easily explained once you accept that we are living in a computer simulation. I wonder if any of the other simulations have proteins and sugars that have the reverse chirality from ours.

So, short answer is that all enzymes, amino acids and proteins they are formed from are the same (that I am aware of anyway?).

Nature throws curve balls on occasion, so there may be some exceptions to this?

@Whatskillz curious to know what caught your eye, leading you to watch videos on chiral compounds? I’d guess maybe 98% of the human race has never heard of it?
I like watching science videos. It's cool info.

I appreciate the explanations

Often compounds that have chirality are not separated. Both enantiomers are produced at the same time and are sold mixed. So long as the active portion of the compound is not impacted by the chirality then both enantiomers should have the same affect. However in the case that chirality does matter then only one enantiomer will be active. The thing you really have to be careful about is when one enantiomer is safe and the other causes problems. This happened years ago in England with a morning sickness pill. One of the enantiomers was safe and the other caused birth defects.

When it comes to enzymes, the shape of the active site is primarily what matters. So long as the enzyme folds properly and is activated if necessary then it will work assuming no other inhibitions. If the chiral part of the molecule does not impede proper folding, block target molecules from reaching the active site, and it does not change the shape of the active site chirality should not matter.

This is all an oversimplication of course. Chirality and its impact on enzymes is complex and varies from enzyme to enzyme.

Great point though. I am sure there are products out there where only one enantiomer works but both are sold as a mixture because the other is not harmful and it is very costly to separate them in many cases.
Your giving me organic chem flashbacks rn…😭😭😭

Back