hose vs tubing

bberman

Market
Reaction score
I am a new member and will be posting some pictures of my latest project very soon - but I am built a salt water mixing station and the last part is hose/tubing to run the water.

I used 1 inch PVC throughout the station and used a really nice Iwaki pump so I wanted to get really good water flow.

I currently am using Pythons 1/2 inch tubing and it is just not big enough. So I went to Home Depot and got some 3/4in and 1in to test them out but they are not as flexible as the python tubing. I like to be able to wrap the hose/tube around my arm when done and store it neatly... with that thicker tubing I can not.

I had seen a few people using Sears black rubber hose that is 5/8in for their tanks... I was wondering if anyone knew if it was fish safe? Or if anyone hand any recommendations? Ideally it would be light weight, pretty flexible and be able to connect to salt water mixing station with one coupler.

Thanks!

If you're talking about the white, PVC flexor tubing, I've heard heating it a bit makes in more flexible when using. I prefer hard PVC tubing than hose tubing.

the hose I need is to go from the salt water mixing station to the tank about 50 feet away - so it needs to be like a hose or tubing the flexPVC is nice but it does not bend enough...

I see. I use 5/8 OD tubing found at Home Depot. It's clear and is on the isle with the small push connect fittings.

porpoiseaquatics;1088173 wrote: You can use a water hose designed for potable water. That's what I've used for the past 6 years with no issues.

:yes:

Also known as RV hose. They are usually white.

And, welcome to ARC, Brian!

Jenn

Back