Hospital/Quarantine tank

wake125122

Market
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to set up my Hospital tank/Quarantine tank and I wanted to see what kind of filtration method does everyone use on their tanks? I know to stay away from carbon due to the fact that if you use medicine it can draw it out or mess with it. So what does everyone do? Just live rock?

I use a filter with plain filter pads, air stones for more oxygen, prime for ammonia, good bacteria to consume ammonia and water changes to keep the fish healthy. When I do a water change I also put the medication back in for the amount of water I take out. I have Velvet right now so I have 3 QT's going with 11 fish, I had lost 7 fish before I could get the Chloroquine Phosphate. Everyone looks good but my display will be fallow for 60 days. QT'ing fish and coral
Is important, I will be keeping a 90g up so anything new will be spending a few months there! I have learned a hard lesson!

Be careful using prime or any other ammonia reducer while using medication. It forms a toxic combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use Prime with Chloroquine Phosphate, also Metro and Focus. Seachem has an Ammonia test that can be used to test for free Ammonia when you use Prime(not the regular Ammonia test).

That works. How long do you typically Q a new fish? I've read very different responses and things.

It would depend why? Sick fish or new fish, medication-my guys will have a long hall because I have 2 tanks(265g+125g with a 180g sump and another 90g that had not been connected yet). A month in medication and about another 60 days untill the system is clear of the velvet. It depends on medication and what is wrong with system.
New fish about 6 weeks. If your qt is small you may want to do one fish at a time and go with young fish also you can feed them several times a day, small amounts.

Back