How bad is it to have zero phosphate?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I use a Hanna checker for Phos and was at .05 last weekend so I changed out my media. I checked again last night and now I am at zero.

I'm wondering if that is bad for any of my reef inhabitants? Everyone looks happy except my very large Orange Acan, it is not puffy. That particular item has always been a bit finicky but I'm wondering if it actually needs a bit of Phos.

0.05 is really not very high. I think you're safe all the way up to .15ish honestly.

Unless I'm reading it wrong he's having an issue with too low a phosphate level, tony. Just like Ralph stated and over feed a bit if it's a concern. I've never myself made my tank completely zero in phos and nitr. So I can't say for sure if any negatives will come but I had in my opinion an awesome tank when levels were low

You can't have zero phosphates, so I wouldn't worry about it. The checker isn't the most accurate, but it's easy to read! Nonetheless, even if you have "undetectable" readings, you're fine as there are phosphates in the water.

I threw my Hanna checker in the garbage after I tested the same water 10 times and got 10 different readings. But there is some studies on having some phosphates being a good thing.

To have zero phosphates would be determental to every living organism in your tank. Thankfully like Raj said tht is quite impossible. Depending on what system your looking to care for as little as possible is generally the popular opinion.

EcoReefGuy;1011559 wrote: Unless I'm reading it wrong he's having an issue with too low a phosphate level, tony. Just like Ralph stated and over feed a bit if it's a concern. I've never myself made my tank completely zero in phos and nitr. So I can't say for sure if any negatives will come but I had in my opinion an awesome tank when levels were low

I think Ralph is suggesting to feed the acan, not over feed the tank.

+1 to that. Put some mysis on that thang.

EcoReefGuy;1011559 wrote: Unless I'm reading it wrong he's having an issue with too low a phosphate level, tony. Just like Ralph stated and over feed a bit if it's a concern. I've never myself made my tank completely zero in phos and nitr. So I can't say for sure if any negatives will come but I had in my opinion an awesome tank when levels were low

Hear that. I just took my little bit of GFO offline since none of my macros are growing anymore.
This obsession with 0.0 PO4 (not possible apparently) seems to be a relatively new thing... ROWA started it right?

The funny thing is that this time last year I was probably posting something about lowering Phosphates. Someday I'll find a good balance. My Acan is still pissed tonight but my orange plate is as fat as a Big Mac.

DawgFace;1011576 wrote: I think Ralph is suggesting to feed the acan, not over feed the tank.

+1 to that. Put some mysis on that thang.

yes! :up:

Back