How big will this guy get?

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
So I've had several Emerald Crabs for over a year. Several are getting pretty large and one of them (obviously a male) is getting pretty dang big. His shell is about the size of a 1/2 dollar. And I would estimate his claw to claw span is at least 6". I haven't had any issues with him or any of the others picking at any corals (yet).

But, how big will he eventually get? Will I need to worry about him attacking sleeping fish or eventually turning on my corals? Thanks in advance for any opinions!

IMAG4735.jpg
alt="" /></a>"]
IMAG4735.jpg
alt="" /></a>[/URL]

He is a crab and will opportunisticly feed on any fish given the proper situation , but I haven't ever had issues with my mithril crabs but I try to only keep the smaller ones adolescent or female because they seem less aggressive than the large one's

jrhunter0000;995127 wrote: i have one a bit bigger whos about to get sumped killed both my peppermints.

Sounds like I may want to move him to the fuge before something happens. Thanks for the info!

Acroholic;995129 wrote: I recommend a pot of boiling water and some melted butter.

Maybe I should wait a couple more months before I eat him. Then I can get two bites instead of one. Lol

I had a feeling I should have grabbed him and thrown him in the sump when I had the chance.

I have had numerous emerald/mithrax crabs over the years in various tanks and only had an issue with one. I bought a big one cause hey, he could eat a lot of bubble algae, right? I was wrong. Way wrong. He had a den and would grab any and all CUC for a quick meal. Supposedly big males become even more opportunistic in their diet. Took a while to catch him. Then he became trigger food at my lfs. Good stuff!

Call Sig Hansen to come and get him out of your tank ;)

They grow for their whole lives so, how big he gets depends on how long he lives.

Some of them are more aggressive than others, but if you are concerned, you're probably better sumping him. Then he can live out his days and not harm your stuff.

Jenn

JennM;995274 wrote: Call Sig Hansen to come and get him out of your tank ;)

They grow for their whole lives so, how big he gets depends on how long he lives.

Some of them are more aggressive than others, but if you are concerned, you're probably better sumping him. Then he can live out his days and not harm your stuff.

Jenn

Thanks for the great advice as always Jenn! In the sump he goes.

Back