How crazy is this idea?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I mix SW in an upstairs room and use 5 gallon buckets to carry it downstairs then pour in the sump. In actuality I use a small pitcher to fill and unfill the buckets, all 20 to 25 gallons.

Since I use an Eheim pump in the mixing tank anyway how crazy is it to buy long tubing and top off my tank that way rather than the buckets? I haven't measured but guess the distance is 45 feet.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Put a valve on the end so you can control it downstairs

The hardest part will be finding suitable hose at a decent price. I could use one of the highly touted "pocket hoses" but I'm not sure if there is anything inside that could leach.

Could just buy a 50' roll of vinyl tubing. Will be worth the cost. Filling those buckets with a pitcher and then carrying them down the stairs... Naw. I got so tired of all that and I pump-filled the buckets! Haha

Home Depot sells tubing pretty cheap. I think I got 3/8" ID for $5/15ft

It's not crazy at all I started out with a little tube running from basement to upstairs
Now I have about 150 ft of pvc in my house ranging from 3/4" to 1 1/2
Go for it
You will be happy you did

Its not a crazy idea. Save your back. I would go with what dball711 stated about with the vinyl tubing. Make sure you have a reliable valve to prevent any unwanted spillage.

Wannabee

You can get vinyl tubing in a 100' length as well. Ask your LFS. Made by Lee's. Comes in clear or black. The latter is known as 'pond tubing' and has a thicker wall than the clear stuff - less chance of it getting kinked and algae doesn't grow in it.

Jenn

Not as crazy as carrying buckets downstairs. Try usplastics.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I removed my Eheim from the 40 breeder mix tank tonight and I'm taking it to HD tomorrow to make sure I have the right inner diameter for the hose I need, then I'll check online for the best price.

Jenn I think I have Lees Pond hose in my sump now for my return line. I went to that after several failed attempts at using spa and various vinyl hoses that kinked too bad.

On a lighter note, my estimate in the original post was terribly accurate, a measuring tape had the distance at 43 feet; this former Cavalry Scout is proud.

I've got tubing for my Rodi that reaches upstairs to my bedroom where my QT is located. I fill up a five gallon for top off or bucket to mix saltwater up there. Works great and much easier!

Yeah, I used to mix my water in the basement. Even crazier? I made my RODI on the from t porch. So I'd bring out the RODI, fill up 5gal buckets, carry those down to the basement to fill reservoirs, and then carry the mixed salt water back up stairs to my tank. Recently moved all of that out to the garage and then had the bright idea to use some wall pass throughs and an Apex DOS to do AWC.

So yes, definitely start with the vinyl tubing. Then start looking at some of the AWC solutions out there to make your life even easier.

So here it is. I did not want to do anything to alter the fitting on my Eheim in the mix tank because it is my emergency back up. I had to start with a 3/4 inner diameter line to fit the pump, then drop to a 5/8 ID line using a barbed fitting for the rest of the trip because it is .49 per foot versus $1.79 per foot to run 3/4 ID all the way. In addition, larger the vinyl line, the harder it is to deal with kinks over long distances.

Like mwbeach suggested, I put a valve on the end. My test run went great! I had the link unkinked and filling a bucket next to my tank in less than three minutes. The whole 50 foot contraption is now inside one of the five gallon buckets that used to be a hauling bucket.

The best part, $28.60 total!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

rk4435;1010503 wrote: So here it is. I did not want to do anything to alter the fitting on my Eheim in the mix tank because it is my emergency back up. I had to start with a 3/4 inner diameter line to fit the pump, then drop to a 5/8 ID line using a barbed fitting for the rest of the trip because it is .49 per foot versus $1.79 per foot to run 3/4 ID all the way. In addition, larger the vinyl line, the harder it is to deal with kinks over long distances.

Like mwbeach suggested, I put a valve on the end. My test run went great! I had the link unkinked and filling a bucket next to my tank in less than three minutes. The whole 50 foot contraption is now inside one of the five gallon buckets that used to be a hauling bucket.

The best part, $28.60 total!

I disagree, I think the best part is not having to carry the buckets lol! Good deal though!

Awesome! I did this on a small scale. About 8 feet. I did mine so I don't have to lift the bucket to put water in the tank. Just pumps it out of the bucket into the tank.

I don't have an RO setup so I haul a couple buckets from the LFS

I'm now contemplating Camelia's comment about how she pipes RODI upstairs. I fill buckets at the kitchen sink and carry those up to pour in the mixing tank. That will be a 60 foot run though and pressure could be an issue.

rk4435;1010565 wrote: I'm now contemplating Camelia's comment about how she pipes RODI upstairs. I fill buckets at the kitchen sink and carry those up to pour in the mixing tank. That will be a 60 foot run though and pressure could be an issue.
Tap water? Or rodi?

RODI grouper therapy. My unit runs at about 60 psi so I'm thinking I am dreaming on that one since a booster is out of the question.

Back