How do i bond PVC to Glass???

roland jacques

Market
Reaction score
I want a large glass Tank with a PVC bottom like the coral tanks at Marine Fish . I think ill have to build this myself to keep it affordable. So my question is does anyone know what kind of bonding sealant to use for the bond between PVC and Glass?

I AGA bonds their Overflow's to glass with what seams to be a very strong sealant. But you say they they use a UV curing process :( Interesting i never heard of a UV curing process before.

I know "Goop' will work but its very hard to work with on a large tank. i Guess i might have to go with all glass tank.

Obviously it's possible since we have our coral tables made out of PVC on the bottom.

Roland, if the search function works for you, there was a thread on RC a while back about this process.

mufret;282919 wrote: Roland, if the search function works for you, there was a thread on RC a while back about this process.

Yeah, good idea. I do vaguely remember a thread on this topic a few years ago but it was most but i dont that thread came to any one conclusion. I'm sure there must be a more resent thread on this subject.

you will need to route out a grove for the glass to sit in(so the grove takes the stress and load) and use household goop to bond/seal it.

most big manufacturers use a UV curing epoxy as stated above.

This seems to be the best suited product i could find. "Mr. Sticky's underwater epoxy" http://www.eclassifieds4u.com/toronto/ca-sticky-underwater-epoxy-adhesive-glue-ad-nlmkp60322">http://www.eclassifieds4u.com/toronto/ca-sticky-underwater-epoxy-adhesive-glue-ad-nlmkp60322</a> Ill look some ore for larger quanity size.

"It is as strong or stronger than silicone. It is also flexible like silicone and so will never crack. I used it to cement an acrylic back wall to the inside of an all-glass tank so the new acylic wall became a new water-bearing wall. Water never leaked to the second chamber. If you glue your tank walls' bottom edges to the top of the <span style="color: red">PVC</span> base as is proper and run an inside bead of additional epoxy like I did, I am confident it will work."

EnderG60;282943 wrote: you will need to route out a grove for the glass to sit in(so the grove takes the stress and load)
Definitely need to do this. Overflows are sealed tighter under load, wheras what you're talking about will split open if you don't rout a grove for the glass.

You live in the South and have to ask how to bond one thing to another?????

Duct tape my man....Duct tape.

Seedless Reefer;283251 wrote: Duct tape my man....Duct tape.
I managed to get "Internet Fame" on this subject:
search

I swear if I see you duct taping a tank... I'mma come duct tape YOU to it. lol.

Back