How do I get rid of rust/brown flatworms??

clovis829

Reaction score
For a few months now I have had brown flatworms all throughout my tank (12g Aquapod). They are on top of my rocks throughout the day when the light is on. Someone at a LFS told me to put a flashlight aimed directly at the sand when the lights are off and they will all come to the light so that I could siphon them out--they definitely did not come to the light. When I do a water change, I siphon out as many as I can, but it seems as though they are all back the next day. I am timid to use "Flatworm Exit" or any other chemicals as I am afriad it may harm some of my corals. I do not have any more room for a fish, such as a sixline wrasse, and I have always heard that nudibranch's are dangerous. I have done quite a bit of research, but I still have had no success.
Please, does anyone have any advice, maybe from personal experience, they they think might work??

Can someone move this from photography to reef discussion please? Sorry I put it in the wrong forum...

I have had good luck with Flatworm exit. I have used it on several tanks. The important thing is to siphon out the the flatworms once they begin to die. You will have many more than you expect. Be prepard to do a large water change also. This is only my experience. I've had very good luck with this product. I do know of others who have not.

Ok as for advice... Let see... It is a huge problem in some peoples tanks. Most experience says that as you control the nutient levels in the tank, the flatworms will die off.. This could take a while though. I do not advocte chemicals either but on small out breaks people have had good results with flatworm exit, on large out breaks it could nuke your system.

FW dipping rocks will kill the good critters in the rocks as well as the flat worms. If it were me, I would move all the corals you can along withthe fish and invert to a QT tank and then nuke the system by either flatworm exit or dipping the rock and removing the flatworms from the sand. This could lead to a mini-cycle but after about two to three weeks you should be flatworm clear if you got them all. Alot of work but better then flatworms IMHO.

I used flatworm exit but found it didn't kill them all and you will need to siphon out as many as you can before using it. My final solution was a 6-line. What fish do you have in your tank now?

Back