How do I safely raise my SG?

geno

Market
Reaction score
My SG is about 1.021 and I think it should be a bit higher.

I have been doing small water changes (15g for a 125g) each week. The SG of the new water is about 1.026. As you can imagine, it's going to take a very long time before the entire tank's SG goes up much.

I realize this should be done slowly. Could someone suggest how I can safely do this? Could I add some mixed salt to the sump? If so, what would be a safe mixture?

Thank you,
-gene

If you want to achieve 1.026, I would add water in at about 1.029 in your weeklyish water changes. You could add a glass of concentrated salt water to your sump every other day or so, but I am sure most would recommend against that.

When I need to raise my SG, I just pour more 1.025 salt water into the tank and allow evaporation to take care of the rest.

You know, I like the top-off option best. It would be gradual with low risk.

Thank you!

I'm not yet using the "Part A and Part B" stuff yet -- should I start now?

I have the following corals:
1 small frogspawn
1 small anchor (hammer) coral
1 small candy cane
1 very tiny bird's nest frag

This is in a 125g with about 130# of LR from Sal's home tank.

I advise you to get some Ca and Alk test kits. The elos kits are easy to use and on sale at Einstein. Supposedly they're fairly accurate.

Anyways, you don't know whether you need to use the two-part until you test your water. I imagine though with such a low coral load you should be fine with regular water changes. I'd still be testing the water though...

I've measured my Ca with an API kit (it may not be the best) and I get a 400+ reading. At this point, I'm gonna begin all top offs with fresh (aged 24 hours) salt water rather thank RO/DI water.

I've put the brakes on for the next 3 months (found a rather in-depth article on RC that suggested that a mature tank takes at least 7 months -- I'm just ending month 3). I did get a good start with the well aged rock from Sal's home tank.

Also, after reading the crash of a fellow ARC member when all his parms were dead-on gave me reason to pause as well. As you know, I keep saying all my parms are fine -- and you keep saying slow down. Now I get it.

Back