How do we feel about this alternative to an APEX?

Collink91

Supporting
Reaction score

I just struggle to drop the 800 bucks on a full apex

I just struggle to drop the 800 bucks on a full apex
They went under. So honestly I would advise against it. If you are looking for an alternative I would suggest looking at GHL or Hydros depending on what exactly you are trying to do. In my opinion Apex was and still is the gold standard to aquarium controllers. I have one and I still love it.

CoralVue has been promising this new controller for about a year now. They made a big splash at MACNA last fall, promising to launch it this spring. Even though they state it is ‘assembled’ in the US, that’s likely a trick play on words, because most of the electronic components made in the world now, come from China or other parts of Asia.

Now that we are dealing with COVID, who knows when/if it will be available to hobbyists...?

Fwiw, there are 2 models planned a 2 & a 4.

The 2 is really aimed at freshwater tanks.

The 4 is for reef tanks, has 2 probe ports plus temp and is expandable, at very reasonable cost. Base price if $399.00 and comes with a 4 outlet strip, plus a 1 outlet w/ power monitoring. Additional strips are $25 for the 1 and $40 for the 4.

Also.. and to me this is BIG! The units are ip67 rated, meaning they are water resistant.

Why it took this long to get a water resistant aquarium controller, to me, defies logic? Especially for use around a marine aquarium!

Also, the controller uses a drag & drop associative programming format. Thus avoids much of the start up learning curve found with an Apex.

Although, to the Apex’ credit, there is a lot of end user support via forum programming examples & tech support.

Why not buy an OG apex for a couple hundred? It’s still supported by apex with updates still be produced. Modules can be found super cheap and it’s actually good and proven good

Why not buy an OG apex for a couple hundred? It’s still supported by apex with updates still be produced. Modules can be found super cheap and it’s actually good and proven good

That’s what I’ve got. After considering an $800 upgrade to the ‘newer’ Apex, I’ve decided to hold off & wait to see what CoralVue comes out with. I can afford to, as I’ve got 2 of the older units, just in case.

At $400 for a water resistant controller, which is easy to program, plus accessories (and new ones on the horizon), what’s to lose by waiting?

Imo a controller is the best investment for a tank and gives you peace of mind. You can go wrong with Apex. The community for it is great. If you ever run into problems the Neptune Forum on their website is a great resource. They’ve helped me with trouble shooting a few times now.

Back