How do you clean your filter sock

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
I was wondering cause i turned mine inside out and it still looks nasty what do you do?

I have an open sump (no compartments) so at the end of the drain line from my display I have a filter sock to reduce bubbles that were getting sent back to the display. I actually have 2 filter socks and I clean the one in use about every 5 days and replace it with the 2nd one. I use about 1 cap full of bleach and wash it in the washing machine. I then do 3 additional rinse cycles and let it air dry. Been doing this for over a year with no issues.

Bleach will work as long as you get all of the bleach back out of it before it goes into the tank. I only have one so I cannot swap them out like Darren. I just turn it inside out and really blast it with the garden hose. Then put it back to right side out wash it really well with the hose and then back into the sump. :) It works for me and gets it about 90% clean I would guess. :)

I wash mine in the clothes washing machine without any detergent and with 2 rinse cycles and soak in Prime for 20 minutes.

I wash mine in the washer with just warm water, 2 rinses then let completely dry for at least 24 hours. I have 3 that I alternate between every 3-5 days.

I am pretty sure that my wife would KILL me if I put that nasty, stinky micron sock in HER washing machine. LOL She knows what that thing catches and pulls out of the tank water. hahaha.

I also wash mine every 2 weeks in the washer, just one cycle, no soap, then i rinse with ro water.

dkelly;83550 wrote: don't you wash dirty underwear and socks??

Yep. However those are all sans shrimp, pods, bristleworms, decaying macro algae, and detritus. Ohh my dirty clothes do not smell as bad as the garbage that the filter sock catches. :yuk:

when i used to have them, i turned them inside out and prewashed them with a hose in my back yard...thsi removed most of the gunk, then i ran my washing machine empty for a cycle to clean out any remaining detergent (from the wash before)....then i threw in my filter socks and ran it on a cycle with hot water no detergent... and wallah brand new..

If you do use bleach, just soak it afterwards in water treated with plenty of Prime (dechlorinator), which will neutralize the bleach (rather than multiple washing machine cycles). That's how I regenerate my purigen, and it works just fine.

i wash mine in warm water with baking soda turned inside out. soda kills the smell on the sock and in the washer

Plain Bleach is actually very safe as long as you make sure the item has completely dried before you re-use it. Plain Bleach breaks down to salt and water. The water dries, and you have minor salt residue. Couple that with the fact that the bleach is highly diluted, and then any dry residue left from the bleach is quite minut.

Back