How do you clean your hands before they go in the tank?

i wash with soap up to the elbows. rinse with warm water for a good five minutes. even better is to rinse until arms turn a little pink.

I'm in the install/maint business and as long as you don't have anything strange on your hands (for whatever reason) I wouldn't be too worried about it. You should know if you have anything really bad on your hands. If you do, wash them. If not, do whatch gotta do.

ReefReaper;75097 wrote: I'm in the install/maint business and as long as you don't have anything strange on your hands (for whatever reason) I wouldn't be too worried about it. You should know if you have anything really bad on your hands. If you do, wash them. If not, do whatch gotta do.

Gloving up is important. The oil on your skin can be harmful to coral and palytoxin are just two considerations. If you're working on someone's huge investment, a couple pennies for gloves will go a long way in at least making you look more professional.

I don't they just go in...Your water is dirtier than your hands most likely...

Just scrub up after good get the bacteria off

washowi;77841 wrote: I don't they just go in...Your water is dirtier than your hands most likely...

Just scrub up after good get the bacteria off

I second this approach

Yeah, I have gloves, but I only wear them if I've handled something nasty that day or filled the tank. Otherwise I just scrub well with hot water only (I figure the possibility of soap residue is worse than using no soap.)

One hand in a 12 nano is A LOT different than a hand in a 90 gallon. I've never been cautious unless I have something on my hand, aftershave, cleaners, ect. A quick rinse is enough. Wearing gloves is a little obsessive compulsive(unless you have a very small volume of water), IMO.

Usually a quick rinse before I go in. A thourough cleaning after!

I usually put my hands in hte tanks and swish them around a bit...

My problem is how do I take thm out without dripping on the floor and front of the glass

washowi;77841 wrote: Just scrub up after good get the bacteria off
+1. Do not underestimate the bacteria and other nasties in your tank. Don't forget to wash all the way up to where you were in the tank. The crook of your elbow is an excellent place for bacteria to take root.

I use the application of the tap water through the faucet for 3 seconds and go right in. Unless you've been working on cars or something, like me, there really isn't too much on your hands that can kill or harm the animals inside-that is the case if you wash your hands a few times a day.

It is also a great way to replinish trace elements in your tank. :)

Back