How do you get rid of large bristle worms?

savingnemo754

Market
Reaction score
I need some suggestions from everyone. My friend has a 24 gal aquapod in fact it is my old take and she has a lot of large bristle worms. Several are 6 inches but most are 1-2 inches. We tried a trap but it is useless. Anyway does anyone know of a good was to caught them without tearing the tank apart and caughting them by hand and scrubbing them in fresh water.

they can hurt your hand leaving those spines in your skin, so don't grab them--arrow crabs sapposedly eat them, but I wouldn't be worried, they actually help eat up uneaten food, poop, and any fish that may die and not be seen. I THINK a sixline wrasse will eat them as well, but not sure

Take an old pantyhose and put a cocktail shrimp in there or some mysis or whatever you have handy. Then put a rock in there as well to weigh it down. Tie it up and put it in the tank at night. The worms will get their bristles caught in the hose trying to get the food often being unable to extract themselves.

Remove the worms and set it again each night until you've got your population under control.

G'luck.

Just curious why does she want to get rid of them? Anything that cleans the tank is good in my book!

She is a night watcher of the tank and doesn't like the worms all over the place. Purely an astetic reason. :d'oh:

flyingarmy;253905 wrote: Hmm...wondering to self "why Jin has pantyhose in the first place!":D

If you have to ask, then you really don't want to know. Has something to do with the "big bucks" he gets paid.............:blush: Okay that was off topic.

But I agree, bristle worms are a sign of good tank health. I would suggest removing some but not all.

I usually get rid of them by moving a rock, getting stuck by about 800 spines and flinging them across the room. I dont recommend that method.

EnderG60;253938 wrote: I usually get rid of them by moving a rock, getting stuck by about 800 spines and flinging them across the room. I dont recommend that method.

lmao!

You big boys know why I have the pantyhose... teehee?

lol. No. :)

Yah my wife keeps complaining as to why her pantyhose are all missing. I use them as media bags to hold carbon and gfo, to catch the really big worms, as filter socks, and a myriad of other uses around the tank. Of course I always blame it on the darn dogs.

EnderG60;253938 wrote: I usually get rid of them by moving a rock, getting stuck by about 800 spines and flinging them across the room. I dont recommend that method.

roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!! no really i was just doing that lol

Back