How do you handle your overflow to the sump?

eagle9252

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I currently have a HOB overflow that I made for a 40 breeder but put on a 75gal DT, needless to say it is undersized but luckily so is my Mag7 so they are both at their max. I’m LQQKing at upgrading to a 120 (48x24x24) or a 150 (48x30x24H). </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The stand when finished will work for either and the sump is a 36gal (about 26gal) but the first chamber is not big enough so I will need to build another one. I currently have some fish and corals so when I get everything ready it will be like a water change but change the sump and tank instead. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The tank will be viewed from 3 ¾ sides. When looking at the front of the tank it will have a small area in the back left side that will be the overflow area. My questions are what next? Do I do a bean animal, dorso or a herbie? There are a couple others that I have not named. I oringanly wanted to do a bean animal but I don’t have enough room and keep it out of site. The back of the tank will be in the kitchen side and have a couple of chairs at the counter for a small breakfast area. I will only have about 8” from the wall to the fridge to have pipes come from the side of the tank. I don’t know if the tank I get will have tempered bottom or not. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I have planned to do a C2C but was going to do it on the left side and let it drain beside the tank but don’t think this will work as the bean animal needs 3 pipes. If I don’t get a tempered bottom I could do a left corner OF and a dorso with an extra pipe for the emergency OF. The return can come up the outside of the tank into the canopy on the left side.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I have tried to use the Google sketch up and auto cad but I don’t have a clue how to use it. That’s about 3 hrs of time I won’t get back. I prefer to use the T-square and good o’pencil. I can do pretty good in excel (don’t laugh).</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">So let me know what your thoughts are. And I guess I’ll never get the hang of this 5 line rule.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">
TANK.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

I run 2 dursos on my 125, if you make it adjustable and throw some ball valves in your drain plumbing you can really get it quite.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I feel the same way. I have 2 BV on the overflow. 1 coming from the tank to the remote sump and 1 coming from the remote sump to the sump. the only time I use it is when I'm doing a WC and need to stop the flow. On the bean animal you have 3 pipes. 1 full siphon, 1 durso style with a BV and 1 open for emergency only. </span></span>

bratliff;726860 wrote: I'd love to help you out, but, I'm frankly confused as to what your question is and what you are trying to do... :confused2:

If I read your response, you are saying you put ball valves on your overflows, is that correct? If so, I do not recommend restricting your overflow in any way. If you need to slow down your overflow, I, personally, would restrict your return pump. Slow down the amount of water you are putting IN to the tank, not what is going OUT. If I misread, my apologies.

As usual, just my $.02.

I may have miscommunicated, the stand pipe of my dorso can be vertically adjusted to quiet any trickling coming from my overflow, if you really tune them in there is minimal water falling (no trickle noise) , I put ball valves on both of my drain pipe pipes, it is currently running completely open but have had systems in the past where a little tweaking can quiet things down a little if your drain is pulling air. Movement in my tank isnt a problem, i run 2 mp40s and a mag12. I like not relying on my return for all the flow in the tank so my flow in the sump is slower.

here is my build thread with some pics of the plumbing to help clarify, thanks for the reminder that i havent updated in a while! :D

showthread.php

eagle9252;726909 wrote: <span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I feel the same way. I have 2 BV on the overflow. 1 coming from the tank to the remote sump and 1 coming from the remote sump to the sump. the only time I use it is when I'm doing a WC and need to stop the flow. On the bean animal you have 3 pipes. 1 full siphon, 1 durso style with a BV and 1 open for emergency only. </span></span>

Nice, i think my next tank I am going to try bean animal and a high flow sump, i would love to see the plumbing when you are done, very well thought out imo. Great choice!

bratliff;727391 wrote: Yer doin it the exact same way I am.:) MP40's for water movement. Return pump is for water circulation. I'm maybe only doing 10x turn over with my return pump. The only time I close my overflow valves is for maintenance though. I tune noise by raising/lowering the durso or changing the length of the air tube on the durso

Sounds like we are on the same page, I am getting great results from this tried and true method style

Back