How do you know temp probe is accurate?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I just hooked up an RKII on the 120G and was wondering whether to trust the temp probe right out of the box. It reads differently than the digital ones I have which I have never trusted since they all read something different in the same water. Is there an easy way to actually test this?

You should be able to calibrate it like you do a PH probe. You can use a mercury thermo or several digital thermos for calibration.

flyingarmy;158569 wrote: You should be able to calibrate it like you do a PH probe. You can use a mercury thermo or several digital thermos for calibration.

Yea, it looks like the calibration itself is easy, but having something I trust as a standard to check it against is the problem.

I typically use a glass thermometer when calibrating the Neptune temp probes. (As Mark suggested)

I have three of the Coralife digitals and none of them read the same temp, so I place little labels on them with +/- degrees of accuracy. It works, but can be a PITA.

reefknight;158606 wrote: I typically use a glass thermometer when calibrating the Neptune temp probes. (As Mark suggested)

I have three of the Coralife digitals and none of them read the same temp, so I place little labels on them with +/- degrees of accuracy. It works, but can be a PITA.

Good idea on the digitals. I'll have to buy a glass thermometer next time I'm out.

Bud,
I have a stainless steel thermometer which is used for accurate measurements for photo developing (remember film developing???). I can bring it over this weekend if you want.
Bob

bobz;158747 wrote: Bud,
I have a stainless steel thermometer which is used for accurate measurements for photo developing (remember film developing???). I can bring it over this weekend if you want.
Bob

That would be great, thanks!

Back